Sunday, September 6, 2015

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough - September Secret Recipe Club


My two oldest are back in school now, and even though that gives me a few more hours during the day, the dinner scramble is no less crazy.  This past weekend, yes the holiday weekend, I spent setting myself up with a stocked freezer. One of my go-to dinner cheats is whole wheat pizza dough.

You can always find a ball of it tucked into my freezer, ready to be dressed for dinner!

So when I was perusing Lori's blog, Lori's Culinary Creations, for my September Secret Recipe Club selection and came across her recipe for  whole wheat pizza dough , I knew that would be the recipe. I was hooked when I saw she ground her own wheat for it.


Grinding our own whole what has been a real treat! It has great flavor and texture... much better than that whole wheat flour you find on the grocery store shelves.

Lori's blog was a treat to read. She shares my passion for culinary adventures and she believes life should be experienced. She also shares my love of German food, and I will have to go back and try her recipes for Beef Roulade and Red Cabbage. Mmm...


So, again, her whole wheat flour recipe was what caught my eye. I love working with freshly ground wheat because it has all the wheat germ and everything right there. I have really enjoyed my WonderMill and recommend my whole wheat pancake recipe if you get the chance.

This pizza dough is really simple and fast to make. It is the perfect way to clean out the veggie bins in the fridge or complement those fresh garden tomatoes. This time around I went with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes on one half, and eggplant and peppers on the other.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
adapted from Lori's Culinary Creations

You Will Need:

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 Tablespoon pizza flavor (King Arthur's Flour)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder


Whisk together the flour, yeast and salt. Stir in the remaining ingredients until the dough comes together in a craggy ball. Continue to knead till smooth. Add a little water or sprinkle of flour to reach a good elastic dough.

Let the dough rise for 2-3 hours, covered, in a greased bowl.

Prehead the oven and pizza stone (if you have one) to 375 degrees.

Punch the dough down and roll out. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes before prebaking. Then brush the dough with olive oil and place on a pan sprinkled with cornmeal.

Top as desired with your favorite combination of sauce, cheese, vegetables and meat. Then finish baking for 18 - 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Enjoy!



 Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!