Monday, March 12, 2012

Spicy Lemon Quinoa - The Secret Recipe Club (#SRC)


It's March already! Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal...

Secret Recipe Club

This month I was excited to be assigned Betsy's blog, BetsyLife to cook from. This was one recipe that I saw in her recipe index and knew I had to make. Betsy is a creative gal with an eye for photography and the taste buds to really serve up some delicious dishes. Please take a moment to explore her site.



This recipe called to me because I am on a hunt for better and varied quinoa dishes. It is a grain I only started cooking with last year and when I say Betsy's Spicy Lemon Quinoa also included split peas, I was sold!

This dish is healthy and simple. I whipped it up for my husband for a quick lunch. It fed the two of us perfectly. I will be making it again.

Spicy Lemon Quinoa
adapted from BetsyLife and originally from Sunset Magazine.

You will need:

  • 3 Tbsp. green split peas
  • 2 c. water
  • 5 tsp.olive oil
  • 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 serrano chile,  seeded and minced
  • 1/2 tsp. turmeric
  •  1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. packed baby spinach leaves
  • 1 c. quinoa, cooked in chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • Additional Lemon wedges for serving



Simmer the split peas in 2 cups of water til tender. It should take 20 - 25 minutes. Drain and set aside.




Heat the oil in a large lidded saucepan on medium. Add the mustard seeds and heat till they pop, about 1 minute. Stir in the cumin and heat through, then add the cooked split peas, chili, turmeric and salt. Cook until the split peas dry and start to brown. Set aside.




Wilt the spinach in the pan. Stir in the quinoa and split peas. Toss to combine and add the lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy.


Now check out all the other delicious posts with The Secret Recipe Club,

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I love quinoa SO much! This looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tasty. I've always had trouble cooing with quinoa, but I think I should give it another whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and I love all those ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks yummy. I was sold at spicy and lemon, then the quinoa sealed the deal. Yum! Definitely pinning for later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really fresh and healthy. I also began cooking with quinoa recently and am on the lookout for new recipes to use it with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started using quinoa last month and am looking for other recipes to try too. This is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks unique and very flavorful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quinoa looks so flavorful and so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness. This looks amazingly delicious. What is it about lemon in quinoa that makes me drool?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing, you have me really wanting to give quinoa a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds yummy. I love getting to add greens to unsuspecting dishes (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummo! Betsy may have an eye for photography, but look at your photos, girlfriend!!! Fabulous :). I hope you'll stop by and visit my SRC post for Chewy Oatmeal Raisin and Almond Cookies

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is such a great combination of flavors and it looks really fresh

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!