- Dry edible beans are dried in their pods naturally.
- Beans go through a seven step cleansing process and are sorted before going to the canning facility.
- Beans are high in fiber can be used straight from the can.
- The darker the bean, the more oxidants.
- Protein is not affected by canning
- Tomatoes are picked at the peak of freshness and canned right away. This makes them fresher than many tomatoes on the grocers shelves!
- Lycopene is more readily available from tomatoes when canned
So, how do I use my canned foods? Well, I love to have canned beans on hand because it can cut down on my cooking time. In a pinch, I love to make rice & bean cups for dinner. It is very filling, healthy and the best part? Well, it is fast! This is one of our weekly staples.
Layer ingredients as you like, but this is the order I usually use:
Brown or Jasmine rice first
1 Can of Black Beans
Grated Cheese (your choice)
Yumm! Sauce (optional... or try a bit of ranch or dressing/sauce of choice) For more info on
Cafe Yumm! visit http://www.cafeyumm.com/index.html
1 Can of sliced Tomatoes (or fresh when available)
1 jar of Salsa
1 Can of sliced Olives
Really the order doesn't matter because it is best to mix it all up before eating! Yum. I promise you will be full after having a bowl of this.
So, what do you do with your canned foods? What are your staples? I don't think my pantry is complete without tomato paste, tomato sauce, whole or sliced tomatoes, olives, and an assortment of beans. Black beans are our favorites.
About The Canned Food Alliance:
The Canned Food Alliance is a partnership of the American Iron and Steel Institute’s Steel Packaging Council, the Can Manufacturers Institute, select food processors and affiliate members. The CFA serves as a resource for information on the nutrition, convenience, contemporary appeal and versatility of canned food. The CFA is a proud supporter of the Produce for Better Health Foundation and the Fruits and Veggies More Matters program. For hundreds of mealtime solutions, www.mealtime.org.
Thank you TwitterMoms for another great opportunity & Thank you The Canned Food Alliancefor the great information on canned foods. I was not compensated for this post, but I was entered into a drawing for a product prize package. Check out other blog's posts too on Twitter Moms... we are all blogging and tweeting about this!