Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Importance of Canned Foods

So, we are all trying to eat a healthy diet, right? And we are also trying to save a little money, right? Well, have you been utilizing canned foods? Even though I buy fresh & local during the warmer months, and can what I can... can you can-can?...I do stock my pantry with canned vegetables, fruits and beans. Not only does this allow me to make my own home version of "fast food", but it allows us to still get the healthy ingredients into our meals when things are out of season. I know you might have some questions about how safe and fresh canned foods are, TwitterMoms and The Canned Food Alliance are offering me a chance to share a little information and clear up confusion regarding canned foods with their informational video. Here are some of the highlights:
  • Dry edible beans are dried in their pods naturally.
  • Beans go through a seven step cleansing process and are sorted before going to the canning facility.
  • Beans are high in fiber can be used straight from the can.
  • The darker the bean, the more oxidants.
  • Protein is not affected by canning
  • Tomatoes are picked at the peak of freshness and canned right away. This makes them fresher than many tomatoes on the grocers shelves!
  • Lycopene is more readily available from tomatoes when canned
If you are interested in learning more about the process and other cool facts, check out the widget on my sidebar (on the right) for the Canned Food Alliance.

So, how do I use my canned foods? Well, I love to have canned beans on hand because it can cut down on my cooking time. In a pinch, I love to make rice & bean cups for dinner. It is very filling, healthy and the best part? Well, it is fast! This is one of our weekly staples.

Rice Bowls

Layer ingredients as you like, but this is the order I usually use:
Brown or Jasmine rice first
1 Can of Black Beans
Grated Cheese (your choice)
Yumm! Sauce (optional... or try a bit of ranch or dressing/sauce of choice) For more info on
Cafe Yumm! visit http://www.cafeyumm.com/index.html
1 Can of sliced Tomatoes (or fresh when available)
1 jar of Salsa
Sour Cream
Avacado
1 Can of sliced Olives
Cilantro

Really the order doesn't matter because it is best to mix it all up before eating! Yum. I promise you will be full after having a bowl of this.

So, what do you do with your canned foods? What are your staples? I don't think my pantry is complete without tomato paste, tomato sauce, whole or sliced tomatoes, olives, and an assortment of beans. Black beans are our favorites.

About The Canned Food Alliance:

The Canned Food Alliance is a partnership of the American Iron and Steel Institute’s Steel Packaging Council, the Can Manufacturers Institute, select food processors and affiliate members. The CFA serves as a resource for information on the nutrition, convenience, contemporary appeal and versatility of canned food. The CFA is a proud supporter of the Produce for Better Health Foundation and the Fruits and Veggies More Matters program. For hundreds of mealtime solutions, www.mealtime.org.

Thank you TwitterMoms for another great opportunity & Thank you The Canned Food Alliancefor the great information on canned foods. I was not compensated for this post, but I was entered into a drawing for a product prize package. Check out other blog's posts too on Twitter Moms... we are all blogging and tweeting about this!




Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that looks and sounds soooo good!

    Stopping by from Friday Follow and I'm following you now. I hope you'll stop by my blog, follow me, and enter the great giveaways I've got going on right now. Thanks!

    http://yelliepooh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use lots of canned foods like beans, olives, tomatoes especially over the winter months.

    It is so convenient and prepared right also good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love canned goods! We love to make a canned chili in our slow cooker. We use maybe a pound ground beef, and then cans of kidney beans, carrots, tomatoes, anything we want that we have around. I don't know where I would be without my cans of food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, I was wondering what to do with the cans in the back of the pantry...I think I found my super for tonight! Haha

    I came through Friday Follow, and am now following you <3

    (http://thecandidreviewer.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!