Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Make Your Own Kool-Aid Lip Gloss


We go through a lot of lip gloss in our house. One little girl and I seem like I am always searching for a tube or buying another pack at the store. Of course, if I had known just how easy it was to make our own tinted, scented lip gloss, I would have started years ago.

I ended up making 4 different glosses, but I just found some of the invisible (uncolored) Watermelon Kiwi that my son has asked me to use for him. I try not to leave him out of the fun.

I feel like I should warn you, Kool-Aid powder in concentrated form will stain fingers, counters, etc. So I opted to not make it with my small children. I also put down a plastic placemat so there were no pesky drips or spills.


Okay, the good news is this is so easy to make. I only used 3 ingredients for them. You need: coconut oil, sugar and powdered Kool-Aid. Why the sugar? Have you ever tasted unsweetened Kool-Aid? It has a pucker factor of 11 on a 1-10 scale. I used just a little sugar to sweeten the gloss so it was still had a Sweet Tart type of flavor, but wouldn't be shocking.


Okay, again... grab:

  • 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 package of Kool-Aid
  • enough water to form a paste
  • 1 tsp. sugar or to taste
I used two custard cups to make up a batch of gloss. First I started by softening my coconut oil. I heat the oil in the microwave for 5 seconds and then stir vigorously. You don't want to overheat it, it should not be in liquid form, but you could put it back in for another few seconds if it is too firm.

In another cup, pour in about half of the Kool-Aid. Add just enough water to form a paste and see the color. Whisk in your sugar and add it into your softened coconut oil a little at a time till you achieve the desired color.



I used a small whisk and some elbow grease to mix it all together. The oil and paste don't mix well unless you work at it... just a little bit. I kept wisking till most of my sugar had dissolved. It kept dissolving as it sat and I was pleased that my gloss was smooth when I tried it out.

Then I spooned the gloss (it will still be a litle soft) into 2oz makeup bottles like these. You can find them on Etsy or at a craft store.


Now I just need to design labels for them...

Let them cool completely or refrigerate briefly to solidify the oil again. I love how it warms up to the touch as I apply a little to my lips.

My daughter tried out the cherry first.


Despite looking pretty dark in the bottle, it was a nice and gentle red. This whole project was a little girl's dream come true. My little girl is already brainstorming the new flavors she wants to try.

We finally may have more lip gloss than we need.

Take a peak at my Kool-Aid Meringue Cookie and DIY Snow Cone Syrup recipes and stay tuned for more Kool-Aid fun next week.

Have you ever made lip gloss? What Kool-Aid flavor would you try?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!