Friday, April 25, 2014

Kool-Aid Meringue Cookies


As a blogger, I write and read a lot of pitches for possible posts. Whenever I submit a pitch, I have given it some thought, done my research and have even tried it out ahead of time. Crafts and recipe posts are always my favorites.

Sometimes after searching Pinterest and brainstorming I just can't get the idea or product out of my head. In this case it was all the cool things that can be made or done with Kool-Aid. I even ended up starting a Pinterest board with possible Kool-Aid projects for the future. Now that there are powders, liquid concentrates and ready-to-drink jugs, the possibilities seem endless and it is an inexpensive way to play. I actually just went ahead and purchased a bunch of Kool-Aid to get the creative juices flowing.

Be sure to come back, I have more Kool-Aid fun up my sleeve.

Now, you all know that I have an abundance of eggs from my hens, right? Well these eggs and my stockpile of Kool-Aid seemed like the perfect match for some sweet magic.


This story begins with a little egg separating. You gotta keep 'em separated...


Then you have to whip it good.

Okay, don't be intimidated by meringue. Just make sure your eggs are at room temperature and well separated. A little yolk will keep the peaks from becoming stiff.


And the ultimate magic for this recipe? Well, instead of adding vanilla extract and food coloring, I just used these Kool-Aid concentrate drops. I used both the Watermelon and Black Cherry flavors for my meringue.


I also ended up trying one batch with the unsweetened powder, for the purple grape cookies, but I think the concentrate was easier to use and tasted better.


You can make your cookies anyway you like. Just cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat and then drop by the spoonful or pipe in rounds or stars. Try to keep the size similar so they will all dry at the same time.

Have you ever eaten Meringue Cookies? They should be dry and brittle. A little burst of flavor that shatters at first bite and melts on the tongue. They are not heavy and the flavors add a fun dimension to this simple treat.

What flavors would you make?


Kool-Aid Meringue Cookies
You will need:

  • 4 egg whites, at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 c. superfine sugar (or pulse up sugar in a food processor till fine)
  • 1 tsp. Kool-Aid liquid

Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.

In a stand mixer, beat the eggs till they are frothy. Then add in the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Then start beating in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is all dissolved and the peaks are stiff. Rub a little of the egg whites between your fingers to check for gritty sugar. The mixture should be smooth. Then beat in a teaspoon of the Kool-Aid liquid.

Put in a piping bag with a 1M tip and pipe onto a parchment covered baking sheet or silicone mat. Keep the cookies uniform so they will dry evenly. Bake for 45 minutes and then turn off the oven and leave the cookies in for another hour. They should be completely cool and release easily from the baking sheet.

Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container.


I just love how the colors came out! These are so easy to whip up I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I linked these yummy cookies up at  I Heart Nap Time, I mean, why not?

Which Kool-Aid flavor was your childhood favorite?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!