Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lamb Stroganoff

Mmmm... I grew up on beef stroganoff but when we were given some lamb I was clueless as to what to try with it. I now have some stew meat, ground and a few other cuts of lamb in my freezer. This was my first adventure with lamb, and it was a great success.

I roughly followed a regular stroganoff recipe... with a couple of flourishes.

You will need:

1 medium yellow onion sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic (pressed or minced)
1 lb lamb cut in small pieces1 lb of sliced mushroom
(I cut in half & then thinly slice)1 cube beef stock
1-2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce1/2 c. of sour cream or creme fraiche
1/4 of a fresh lemon
egg noodles or rice
salt & pepper to taste


Start off with your onions in a large frying pan with a little olive oil & butter. I start my pasta right away since this is a fast dish to make. If you want to serve over rice, give yourself plenty of time. I use just use a pinch of salt to help sweat the onions & get them to release their moisture. When they are translucent & soft, put them in a bowl & set aside. Now add your mushrooms & more oil if necessary. When they are tender & fragrant, put them in a bowl & set aside.


Now, I cut my lamb into bite-sized peices and lightly dredged them with flour. This was to help thicken my sauce later. I browned the pieces & then added my cup of broth & Worcestershire sauce. Cook for another minute or two on a low simmer and then add the onions & mushrooms back to the pan.

Turn the heat down to low and squeeze that lemon over your dish. I was surprisingly out of lemon, so I had to settle for bottled juice. Not as good, but fine in a pinch! Then add in your sour cream. If it is too thick, you can add more broth or sour cream as you prefer. Then salt & pepper to taste.


Serve over your noodles or rice & enjoy!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Lamb Stroganoff... yummmmm! I haven't tried making stroganoff with lamb yet... just with beef and (home-canned) venison. When (or if) we get lamb, we might have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, sounds delicious, drooling already. I had never tried cooking lamb, dish like this we normally eat out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. certainly like your web site however you need to test the spelling on quite a
    few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to tell the reality however I'll surely come back again.

    Have a look at my webpage ... diet plans that work

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!