Monday, October 4, 2010

It's Alive! - Fermentation in my Kitchen

I have always loved Sauerkraut... but, have never attempted it. It has been on my short list for the past year, but honestly was a bit intimidated by it. Finally I took the plunge...
 I found food grade buckets and we searched high and low for a cheap plate (thank you Walmart)... the problem was, did you know buckets taper inside? That helps them to stack. So the plate I carefully found only fit down about half way. Grrr...

I was left with a bunch of shredded cabbage and no home, so my DH gifted me with a beautiful pickling crock.

Isn't that pretty? Okay, so the salted cabbage was relocated here and a new plate was found that actually fit this time. A water jug goes on top to add pressure. I think I will replace it with a good clean rock or two soon. Most books and online resources talked about their sauerkraut rock. Lol. I am on the look out!

Almost like magic, after the first day, enough water was released from the cabbage to cover it. I didn't need to add any more brine. I have been scalding my cloth every day to keep it free from air born gunk. So far, so good. Now I am just waiting and keeping an eye on it. After another week I should be ready to can it and test it out. Wish me luck!

I found all sorts of other fabulous projects listed in Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz. I would love to try the kimchi... and the tempeh was really enticing. If you have a "fermentation fetish" be sure to check out his book.
Pin It