Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Review - Dairy Queen Blizzard Maker from SpinMaster

 I love getting my kids involved in the kitchen! So, when SpinMaster Toys gave me the opportunity to try out their Dairy Queen Blizzard Maker, I was excited. I mean, who doesn't love a Blizzard treat?

The Blizzard Maker went together simply, and after washing the parts we were off to make our treats! We didn't have any crushed ice, so we improvised by bashing a baggie of large cubes from our freezer. I think my son loved this part.

With our crushed ice ready, we salted it in the machine and then mixed our ice cream powder with milk (in our case, we used a dairy substitute). Then we started turning. The intended age for this product is 4, and I think part of that is due to the time and muscle involved in turning. My arm was a little sore after several minutes and it would have been the perfect thing to keep my two kiddos busy - if they had been a little older. I didn't mind since it was our activity for the evening. My son was very  impatient to try his Blizzard.


The product came with candy topping packs, but my son thought the popping candy was too sour. So we decided to mix in his favorites... Nerds. Isn't that the beauty of the Blizzard? The mix made enough ice cream for both of the small cups provided. I was so happy the portions were small. I would rather the kids have a small treat instead of over indulging. I have to commend SpinMaster for designing it like this.


I was very pleased with the Dairy Queen Blizzard Maker!  - Can you tell? I loved everything about it. From the portion sizes, mix flavor down to the Dairy Queen spoons included. Did I also mention that the parts are dishwasher safe? So clean-up was fast and easy enough for even small children to help with. I know my son will want to use this over and over!

 I have to say that because this "toy" actually produces a delicious product and will keep kids entertained for at least a half an hour for set-up and creation, this is my favorite toy of the season. I will be recommending this for friends and will be stocking up on refill packs for our family.


Suggested Retail is: $29.99  
Ages 4+

Find out more at www.spinmaster.com

Check your local stores. I have found this product in the toy section at Toys R Us, Target, Walmart and on Amazon to name a few.


I have to admit my children have never had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen before. Neither of them can have dairy products because of their PKU. After the Blizzard Maker arrived, the first thing I did was check the nutritional information. Luckily, it didn't seem to include any dairy since that is what the consumer adds to the powder. (I am not making any nutritional claims, this was my own decision to let my children try it) I substituted Rich's Whipped Topping (we buy the liquid) in place of both the milk and cream. It worked wonderfully! The flavor was spot on with the restaurant. And my kids were so excited to enjoy their own creation.

Thanks to SpinMaster for bringing this product to my attention and making it easy for my non-dairy kiddos to enjoy my favorite cool treat in the comfort of our own home.

*Disclaimer - I was sent a product sample in order to post an honest review. No monetary compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!