Friday, July 8, 2011

Simple Supper Idea - Potato Basil Frittata #Recipe

Since we have chickens, I often find myself with lots of eggs and little inspiration for dinner. This simple supper idea lets me cook in my favorite big cast iron skillet with little work.


This would go nicely with a big salad or we served it with toast to keep things simple. This is also put away as a good recipe for brunch and family gatherings since it will feed a lot of people.



You Will Need:
  • olive oil
  • 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes (any you like will do, but these have a great buttery flavor)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 15 oz. ricotta cheese
  • 1 c. smoked cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 3 green onions sliced (white and green parts)
  • 1 c. fresh basil, sliced thin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

I  start by washing, pricking and then microwaving my potatoes ahead of time. Do this the night before to really save time. Let them cool so you can handle them easily. Then cube them and put them in your cast iron skillet (or oven safe frying pan) with olive oil and cook till they are fork tender.

Do not overcook them. Mushy potatoes will disappear in the bottom of your frittata. This should take about 10 minutes.


 In a bowl, whisk up the eggs. Work a little air into them.




Then add in the ricotta, smoked cheddar, green onions and basil. Stir to combine.


Then gently stir in the flour, salt and baking powder.



 Now pour this egg mixture over your potatoes in the skillet. Top with a little additional shredded cheese, if you want .... yes, you want to!



Now pop this in the oven for about an hour. To test, insert a knife in the center. It should come out clean. You can serve this right away, or cover with foil and serve while it is still warm.



Enjoy!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I don't have chickens, but I do have a ton of basil in the garden... I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!