Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Drowning in Tomatoes? Rustic Tart #Recipe


This year the conditions were just right for my tomatoes to take off. Usually they well, but I have never had them get so large and full that they break my large metal cages! They have been loaded  and there are far too many for the usual drying and daily eating. When I came upon a rustic tart recipe I thought, why not?

That being said, I have never eaten a rustic tart before. My tart experience has never been on the savory end. They usually involve some pastry cream, fruit or the like. But, I am always willing to branch out and stretch my taste buds.

You Will Need:
  •  Fresh tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs) - I used a mixture of cherry, grape and heirloom tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
  • 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mixed
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

First slice your tomatoes. I sliced my cherry tomatoes in half and sliced my large tomatoes in 1/2 inch slices. Then salt the tomatoes with 1/2 tsp. of salt. Put a towel underneath to absorb the moisture given off. These should sit for about 20 minutes.

Then combine the corn, sour cream and lemon juice in the food processor. Process until it is smooth. I pulsed mine several times and then scraped down the sides and pulsed some more.


In a separate bowl combine 1 1/2 c. of the flour, 1/4 c. of cornmeal  and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk to combine.

Cut in your butter with two knives or a pastry cutter. As a child we didn't have a pasty cutter and learned how to proficient with two knives in a criss-cross pattern. Either works fine. You should come up with a coarse meal.

Add the corn mixture and gently knead a few turns till you have dough.


Now put down 2 overlapped pieces of saran wrap or wax paper. Overlapping them allows for the dough to stretch. Press the dough into a 6 inch circle. It doesn't have to be perfect.



Now cover with an additional 2 pieces of overlapped cling wrap or wax paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to 14 inches. Then place this wrapped on a baking dish and put in the freezer.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Now it is time to create the filling! In a medium bowl combine the cheese, basil, oregano, 2 Tbsp. of flour and 1/2 tsp. salt. Mix.

Once your dough has chilled for 10 minutes, take it out and place it on a baking sheet. Be sure to put down a handful of cornmeal underneath. Remove the plastic.


Now spread the filling over the dough. Leave a 2 inch gap free around the edge. Give the mixture a light dusting of flour. Then start arranging a layer of tomatoes.



I laid down a base of large tomatoes first. Then dusted with my remaining flour. On top I arranged the smaller tomatoes in a pleasant arrangement.



Then start turning up the edges around your tart. I sprinkled the top of mine with a bit more parmesan cheese.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust starts to turn golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting into it. Enjoy!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This looks so unbelievably wonderful! Sadly, we are so far from drowning in tomatoes. our plants are gorgeous and full, but all of our tomatoes are just sitting there, green as can be. Hoping they ripen before the weather turns, and I can try this out!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!