Thursday, March 1, 2012

Creamy Sweet Potato Hummus #Recipe

I love hummus and especially love how versatile it can be. With roasted garlic, red peppers or hot and spicy. Today I want to share my favorite new love, Sweet Potato Hummus.


If you have never made hummus, you might be surprised how easy it is to make. After a batch you may never go to paying way too much for a small container again.

I love the color and natural sweetness from the sweet potato. It goes well with bell pepper wedges or tortilla chips. I chose to make a batch of pita bread for the occasion.

Sweet Potato Hummus


You Will Need:
1 large Sweet Potato or Yam (if you enjoy the richer color)
1 can of Chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
1 large Lemon, juiced
A pinch of Lemon zest
1/4 c. Tahini
2 tsp. ground Cumin
3 Garlic cloves, minced
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste



Cut the Sweet Potato into 2 to 3 pieces. Steam till fork tender.


Once cool enough to handle, the skins should slip off easily.


In a food processor, add all the ingredients except for the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pulse to start combining. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil through the top as it purees. Stop to scrape down the sides and check the consistency. I like mine thick, but creamy enough for easy spreading. Season to taste.

Store in an airtight container and enjoy with your favorite veggies, as a spread on sandwiches, for chips or crackers.



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I want to come over for lunch! ;)

    Following you from the Alexa Hop!

    www.bootybunsclothdiapers.com/cloth-diaper-blog.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.mudpiesandtiaras.com/
    here from the Alexa hop. This looks so good but what is Tahini? I have truly never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! A new way to enjoy hummus. We go through a ton of homemade hummus here.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!