Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Apple Walnut Waffles - The Secret Recipe Club (#SRC)


Growing up we didn't make waffles at home. We didn't have a waffle iron and usually made blueberry pancakes on Sunday mornings. So waffles became what I ordered in restaurants. Usually piled high with strawberries and topped with whipped cream.

Oh, the memories!

One of the first small appliances I wanted was my own waffle iron. My husband was given one during college and we used it a lot. After we got married we still had the same waffle maker... and still do, by the way! It looks awful. After two college guys spraying it with PAM, burning waffles and over-flowing batter it has a unique personality. I have since convinced my husband the waffle iron doesn't need to be sprayed between uses (it is non-stick) but the sticky build-up is harder to tackle.

When I heard that German Mama, From Arepes to Zwetschgen, was orphaned this week on The Secret Recipe Club posting, I headed over to her site and found these amazing Apple Walnut Waffles. I adore her site! Her international cooking adventures lead her to cook around the globe. I did a lot of traveling Asia after college and really got a taste for other cuisines. I love finding sites that let me do a bit of gastric tourism.

Secret Recipe Club


These flavorful waffles are substantial and easy to make. My only additions were a bit of cinnamon and replacing some of the oil with my homemade applesauce. Topped with a little butter and maple syrup these were the perfect way to start my day!

Who doesn't like starting the day with a healthy waffle?


Filled with real grated apple, whole wheat and wheat germ these are a nice variation of my usual buttermilk recipe.

Apple Walnut Waffles


You Will Need:
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. honey toasted wheat germ
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. brown sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon*
1 1/2 c. milk
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil*

2 Tbsp. apple sauce*
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 apple, grated
1/2 c. finely chopped toasted walnuts





1. Preheat your waffle iron. I put mine on the medium setting. These are dense waffles and you want them to cook all the way through.


2. In a medium bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients, except the walnuts.


3. In a large bowl whisk together the wet ingredients, except the grated apple.


4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the apple and walnuts. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.


5. Pour about 1/3 c. batter into a round waffle iron.


Enjoy! Makes about 8 waffles. To enjoy later- Flash freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place into freezer bags and reheat in the toaster.




Want a bite?


Check out the other SRC recipes featured this week with Group B:

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. These look too gorgeous to be healthy. What a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for doing this post! What a great surprise to have an SRC post this month after all. I like your idea of using applesauce, especially if you usually top your waffles with additional butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe and a great post. You are so sweet to come to the rescue! I was about to volunteer and you already had it covered, good for you!!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just made your Cream Puff recipe last night Miz Helen. You have some amazing recipes! Can't wait to see what you whip up for next month.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! this looks amazing ;) great choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, man! These look delicious!!! I love waffles, but I have never ventured into the flavored waffle territory. These might change that, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful recipe! I have a waffle maker, but my waffles didn't turn out, maybe it was the way I made them? I'm going to try out your recipe! Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!