Monday, April 9, 2012

Pineapple Fried Rice - The Secret Recipe Club (#SRC)


You might have noticed my earlier post for The Secret Recipe Club. Well, after posting I heard that Allison from Alli N' sons was orphaned. A recipe from her blog wasn't posted for today. Because the SRC never leaves a blog behind, both myself and Lisa from Sweet As Sugar Cookies volunteered to post. Lisa chose something sweet (check it out, it looks amazing!) and I chose something a little more savory... with a nice sweet undertone.

Allison has a lovely blog filled with sweet treats, indulgences and other culinary treats. It would be great if you gave her a visit. Let her know I sent you.

Secret Recipe Club

I chose the Pineapple Fried Rice. It was calling to me from my computer screen.


I was excited to have everything on hand but the sesame oil. Actually, I tore through my pantry looking for a bottle. Usually I have it on hand and was pretty sad to not find it. I am sure it will show up later tonight. Isn't that the way it goes? Either way this recipe was fantastic without the added flavor. Savory from the veggies and soy sauce, but sweet from the caramelized pineapple sugars.

Pineapple Fried Rice
from Alli N' sons adapted from AllRecipes.com





You Will Need:

  • 1 c. uncooked brown rice
  • 2 Tbsp. oil (I used canola*)
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 c. cooked, chopped chicken
  • 1 c. frozen peas
  • 1 large can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 Tbsp. sugar*
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce (or more), to taste
*denotes a change from Allison's recipe.


1. I put the rice in my rice cooker set for brown rice. When it is done, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Heat the green onions, chicken, and peas until onions have softened, about 2 minutes. Stir the pineapple and cook until pineapple begins to caramelize on the outside, about 2 minutes.
3. Create a well in the center of your pan, pushing all the ingredients out to the sides. Drop in the beaten eggs and cook until they begins to set. Stir everything together.

4. Add the rice, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder into the wok; keep stirring so it doesn't burn. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce and stir.
Enjoy with your family!

Be sure to check out all the other recipes on this week's SRC linky:

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Sweet and savory - we make a great pair. I love fried rice and it just looks so mouthwateringly good in your pictures. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm. That looks awesome. I love Allison and her blog, and I'm sure this recipe is dynamite. :)

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love pineapple fried rice...i wish i didn't use up all my pineapple over the weekend, or else this would be tomorrow's lunch. oh well, i'll make it soon. so glad you could help out SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I hope you try it again with the sesame oil, it makes all the difference in the world when making Chinese food. Thanks so much for un-orphaning me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...I think I could eat an entire bowl of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you to make this on so short notice! It certainly looks delicious. I can see how it was calling to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the best for helping out an orphan! And your fried rice looks phenomenal. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delight! I used to get an Indonesian fried rice at a restaurant that had pineapple in it, but I always forget to add it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks and sounds fantastic, we love pineapple here, but I've never made fried rice with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! That looks amazing and it sounds so doable!!!! I'm gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!