Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chicken Salad Served Up in a Cantaloupe Bowl #Recipe


Summer means simple and light cooking to me. When I was younger my Mom would often bring home fruit and veggies and declare it dinner. It was a great joke between a mother and daughter, but now as I am a busy Mom, I understand.

One thing I remember her making was this great chicken salad in a cantaloupe bowl. I have never been a fan of chicken salad, but for this one I make an exception. It is also an excuse to hoard an entire half of cantaloupe for myself.


This recipe is made lighter with crunchy celery and hazelnuts, and a touch of sweet added from the halved red and green grapes.

Perfect for eating on the patio or taking on a family picnic. Just slice and take the seeds out of your melon ahead of time and fill right before serving. Be sure to keep the chicken and mayo properly chilled as the heat of Summer can spoil it quickly.


Chicken Salad in Cantaloupe Bowls

You Will Need:

  • 2 Small Cantaloupe
  • 2 c. Chicken, cooked and chopped
  • 1 1/2 c. Grapes (I like a mixture of red and green grapes)
  • 1/2 c. roasted Hazelnuts
  • 2 Celery ribs, sliced
  • 1/4 c. Mayo
  • 1/4 c. Sour Cream
  • 2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix the remaining ingredients and add additional seasoning to taste. Let this chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving. 

Right before serving prepare the melon by slicing in half and carefully scraping and discarding the seeds. To help them lie flat, slice a thin slice from the bottom. Set aside.

Serve a heaping scoop in the middle of each melon.

Enjoy!


Andrea
Pin It

2 comments:


  1. I love Roasted Hazelnuts!
    What a creative idea, it looks so refreshing.
    -Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your site.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you build this web site yourself? Please reply back as I'm trying to create my very own site and would like to learn where you got this from or what the theme is called. Kudos!

    Look at my web page: vigrx penis enhancer

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!