Friday, August 10, 2012

Triangle Delights #Recipe - Blast From My Past


What cookies do you remember from your childhood?

When I was in 1st and 2nd grade we lived just a few blocks from my elementary school. It was my favorite house growing up. There were cherry trees, apple trees, plum and a huge fenced yard. I remember my Mom threw herself into the holidays then with decorations, baking and traditions.

One of the cookies I remember her making was called a Triangle Delight. With a graham cracker crust, topped with coconut, almonds, marshmallows and drizzled with a caramel coating... they were amazing! I don't think my Mom made them many times, but those cookies left an impression on me.


As I grew up my parents worked more hours, money was tight and holidays weren't as elaborate nor did my parents have much time off to enjoy them.

As an adult I have spent years looking for this cookie recipe. You would laugh if you knew how many cookie cookbooks I own, or how many hours I have spent on Google searches or Pinterest. But I have never found these.

When my Mom came for a recent visit she asked if she could bring me anything. I asked her to bring two of my favorite recipes... Triangle Delights and our family borscht recipe. I promise to post more on the famous borscht when the weather turns cooler, but today... being National Smores Day! ...I had to share my favorite cookie treat: Triangle Delights.


The recipe was handed to me on the original letterhead from her employer at the time, from her typewriter and on the original yellowed and tattered paper. She gave me the original because she knew it would mean a lot to me... You see my husband's Mom worked in the same office at the time and this recipe either originated from her or her friend. Truly a reminder of our small world.

Oh, did I mention how easy this recipe is? You are going to love it.


Triangle Delights

You Will Need: 

  • Whole Graham Crackers, enough to cover the bottom of a jelly roll pan.
  • 3 c. mini marshmallows
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. sliced almonds
  • 1 c. flake coconut
  • 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cover a jelly roll pan with parchment and then place graham crackers in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Cover with marshmallows

In a small saucepan combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Melt over medium heat stirring to dissolve the sugar. Take off the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour the hot mixture over the marshmallows. Top with almonds, coconut and chocolate chips.



Bake for 12-15 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow the pan to cool and then slice into 3" squares, then into triangles. A pizza cutter works well for this.


Enjoy!



Happy National Smores Day!


Andrea
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Hi,
    These do look amazing...We don't get Graham crackers here do you think it could be subsituted with anything else?
    I'm on the baking binge at the moment with biscuits now that my wee one is getting that much older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I made these last night and the caramel mixture seemed quite sugary.

    I heated on the stove until it boiled thinking I need to make sure that the sugar dissolves and the butter and sugar are combined and it was nice and creamy (I tasted a bit), but for some reason once baked it was very sugary.

    Any ideas about what I might have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have worked out why it was sugary. I have seen similar recipes since making yours and the other recipes indicate that the sugar and butter need to be boiled for a couple of minutes to a soft toffee stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe doesn't need the sugar and butter to be cooked to the soft toffee stage. Be careful all the sugar is completely dissolved. It is still quite liquid when poured over the other ingredients. Let them cool and they set up nicely. :)

      Delete
  4. These look amazing! What a special memory and yes... what small world story!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!