Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kroger's Cart Buster Sale & Eggplant Involtini with Hunt's Tomato Sauce #Recipe



Yes, the Kroger Cart Buster Event is going on now! You can take advantage of these great deals at your Kroger Family participating store. These include: Kroger, City Market, Dillons, Food 4 Less, Food 4 Less Fremont, Fyis, Gerbes, Jay C, King Soopers, Owenís  Pay Less, QFC, Bakeris, Fred Meyer and Ralphs.

I have big plans of stocking up for some of our favorite Winter comfort dishes. I love to have a well stocked pantry in case the mood for something hits me. Tonight I made the comforting and delicious Eggplant Involtini. And this was perfect with Hunt's Tomato Sauce and Paste in the sauce (on sale 10/13!) and Wishbone Creamy Italian dressing (on sale 10/19!) on our salad.


Eggplant Involtini with Hunt's Tomato Sauce



You Will Need:
  • 2 medium eggplant
  • kosher salt
  • canola oil for frying
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1 can Hunt's tomato paste
  • 1 can Hunt's tomato sauce
  • 1/4 c. chicken stock
  • 1 Tbsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 c. kale, chopped thin
  • 1 c. ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg, slightly scrambled
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 3/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
  • A splash of heavy cream
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
With a mandoline, slice the eggplant lengthwise into 3/16" or 1/4" slices. I prefer the thinner slice, but don't go too thin. Salt the slices on both sides with kosher salt and lay then in a colander or on a clean tea towel. After an hour, blot them dry with paper towels.

Heat up 1" deep of canola oil in a heavy pan over medium high heat. I used my cast iron skillet to do 3 slices at a time. Carefully slip slices into the hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes till tender, but not falling apart. Set the slices to drain on paper towels and finish all the slices.


In a small pot blanch the chopped kale for 3 minutes. Then drain and cool, set aside.

Now is the perfect time to start on the sauce. Saute up the diced onion and garlic till translucent, then add the Hunt's tomato paste, stirring till fragrant. Finally, add in the Hunt's tomato sauce, chicken stock, herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let this bubble away as you prepare the other components. When you get ready to roll your eggplant, ladle a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of your large casserole dish.


Mmm... the filling is my favorite part. Silky, cheesy and hidden away to be savored. I added kale to the classic recipe to take away some of my cheese-guilt, but really the lemon also helps to brighten up the dish considerably.

In a medium bowl mix the ricotta, 1 egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme and cooled kale. Just mix.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.


Now roll. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling about a half inch from the end of your eggplant slice. Roll it up and place it seam side down into the luscious tomato sauce bed. Oh, and if your eggplant tears a little? Don't worry, rolling it will cover up a multitude of imperfections.


Line them all up, then top with a sprinkle more of Parmesan cheese. Drizzle just a little heavy cream down the line to keep the shell moist.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the rolls are heated all the way through.


I paired the Eggplant Involtini with a nice side salad topped with Creamy Italian Wishbone dressing. I hope I have inspired you to snag these deals when they come around.


Enjoy!

Download your own digital coupon for a different product each day straight to your shopper card at the Cart Buster site for great deals on your favorite products at the Kroger Co. Family of Stores!

*Disclaimer - I was selected for participation in this campaign as a member of Clever Girls Collective. I received compensation but, all opinions expressed are my own.   
Andrea
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Yum! This recipe looks so good!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kroger is my favorite place to shop. YOur pictures are wonderful and makes the food even better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore eggplant, but I had never thought to stuff it like a shell or use it in place of lasagne noodles. What an innovative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one in my family will eat eggplant but me. They are crazy, haha! I love it! Maybe I will try this one night and not tell them what is in it. ;)

    Dawn
    www.cheapisthenewclassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    Oh, and Tide today?! I might have to head out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this sale at Korger :)
    Kas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! We LOVE eggplant in this house. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! We shop Fred Meyer every week, so I will have to see which on is on sale the day we go, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look doable, but can you just mail me some of these? You are making me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  10. sadly we don't have a kroger nearby but this recipe looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not have that store near me, but I sure can get the ingredients to make such a great and easy recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good! I've never cooked with eggplant before, but that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for sharing the recipe.. great way to have eggplant

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow that looks like it tastes amazing

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! I saw a recipe for this not long ago and really want to try it. I'm going to have to do that for sure now! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information. Great walk-through. I value this post.
    religious food
    spiritual food

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!