Thursday, November 1, 2012

Making my Thanksgiving Classics with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! #good2knowspreads




The holidays are almost here! This time of year I like to start collecting and pulling out recipes for our holiday  meals. I try to combine some of our beloved favorites with new flavors and foods each year.

In honor of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!, I wanted to share two of our family favorites that use our favorite spread. Both recipes are from-scratch, simple classics I am sure your family will love as well. Many families make a green bean casserole for dinner, but our twist leaves off the fried onions and ditches the cans. You might be surprised to see how easy and delicious making your own cream of mushroom base really is.


Growing up my family always had a green bean casserole on the table, but it was rarely touched during the meal. Greasy and unappetizing, I decided to give it another go when making a holiday meal for my own children. This recipe now comes out several times a year, not just for the holidays, but has earned a yearly place on our Thanksgiving table.

First start out with a pound of mushrooms, I prefer white button or cremini, one yellow onion and 3 tablespoons of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!. Saute until tender and translucent.

Dust the veggies with flour, heat through and then add the stock and cream. As the mixture comes to a boil it will thicken up.

Then it is time to get the green beans ready.


Right now we still have fresh green beans in our field. Bright green, tender and crisp, they are a lovely compliment to the rich and creamy soup they get mixed with. I like to blanch mine for only 3 minutes, but go up to 5 minutes if your beans are older or very thick.


I adore seeing the large chunks of mushrooms in my homemade cream of mushroom soup. Sometimes I leave in whole slices, other times I dice finely, but there is always enough mushrooms to remind me why I take the time to make it myself.

Toss the beans and as much or as little soup as you like. I enjoy some finely grated Parmesan cheese over the top and then baked till warm and bubbly. If the onion topping is your thing, go for it. But, I found I didn't even miss it.


Green Bean Casserole with Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

You Will Need:

  • 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced or diced uniformly
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 Tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! 
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 2 c. chicken stock
  • 1 c. heavy cream
  • 1 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into pieces
  • Parmesan cheese for the top
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a skillet, add the mushrooms, onion and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Saute till tender and translucent.
Dust with flour, and heat through. Whisk in chicken stock and cream. Let the mixture come up to a simmer for one minute. Set aside

Blanch the green beans for 3-5 minutes. Shock in cold water and drain off excess water.

Toss with enough soup mixture to coat then pour into a baking dish. With a micro-plane dust the top of the casserole with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbling. Serve warm.

Enjoy.


________________________________


Another vegetable we have growing well around the farm are squash. Of course squash is a stable on our everyday dinner table so I looked for a way to dress it up for Thanksgiving. This acorn squash, dressed with melted I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and dusted with cinnamon was a hit with the kids. No, I didn't say cinnamon and sugar, the acorn squash actually lends a lovely sweetness to the simple spice.


I love to serve squash during a holiday meal because it is a healthy, filling option that is very easy on the wallet. Just one acorn squash can serve 4 or more people. These are hearty portions, so you could easily cute each piece in half.


Baked Acorn Squash with Cinnamon Sauce

You Will Need:

  • 2 acorn squash, quartered and seeded
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 Tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!, melted
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Place the squash in a baking dish, in 1-inch deep water. Cover with foil and bake for around 35 minutes. The squash should be fork tender when done.

Melt the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and stir in the cinnamon. Brush the finished squash with the cinnamon mixture. Serve warm.

Enjoy!


__________________________

So what are your family's favorite Thanksgiving recipes? Share your favorites in the comment section below.


*Disclaimer - Thank you to Good to Know & Unilever Spreads for being a sponsor. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective. All opinions expressed here are my own.
Andrea

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Homemade Green Bean Casserole looks so much more appetizing than the one with canned soup. We love stuffed mushrooms, corn casserole and homemade stuffing for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that green bean casserole and squash look delish! I'm a butter girl myself, but I grew up on I can't believe it's not butter. Love the taste of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really do love the taste of ICBINB. It spreads sooooo easy too that i use it on my rolls, fresh from the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Those recipes sound delicious! I can't wait for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!