Friday, February 21, 2014

A New Direction with a Simple Start

I wrote this blog post as part of a movement by Weight Watchers to encourage people to remember that loving yourself starts with taking care of your health everyday. Though I was compensated for my time and commitment, all views, positive and negative, are my own.


There is something about seeing the first daffodils of the year that makes me feel like the Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Well, right before he created his cocoon.

You know, when the Very Hungry Caterpillar wasn't very hungry anymore? He wasn't so little anymore, either. I'm not quite ready to dazzle you all with butterfly status just yet, but I am ready to make a new start with some simple changes.

I am starting my journey with little steps.


On Valentine's Day I promised to do one thing for myself everyday for the rest of the month. I held myself to it and though I have completed a week already and have done several different things, getting out to exercise was at the top of my list.

The first step, of course, was just to get out the door. I have never understood why New Year's Resolutions begin in January. I always feel the urge to make changes as Winter starts to thaw. Flowers remind me that good things and warmer weather are on the horizon.

Also coming are bathings suits, pool parties and running around the park chasing my children.

To enjoy all of those things though, I need to start moving more. Regular exercise always makes me feel better. It is something I choose to do for myself.


Speaking of my children, I can hardly belive that my baby is already 8 months old.  I feel like it is time to start doing some things for myself again. I don't want to hide behind my maternity clothing and elastic waistbands anymore. Those extra pounds aren't welcome here anymore either. I don't want to miss out on life because I can't find anything that fits right.


Those daily walks have allowed me a chance to enjoy the flowers and scenery along the way. It has also been fun spending time with my 4-year old daughter. She loves to race. She is not self concious, but runs because she enjoys it.

I admire her carefree spirit.


In addition to walking, this week I also broke out Just Dance 2014 for the Xbox One. I love dancing, if only around my living room. It was the perfect way to get moving on the days when it was too rainy to lace up my sneakers. It was also fun to get my kids involved.


My other big project this past week was to reorganize my favorite room. I love crafting, but would rather create in a clean space. And who am I kidding? I couldn't find anything before. Having this room organzied and ready for crafting is a great way to relieve my stress at the end of the day.

My health isn't just about what I eat or how often I exercise. It is also about my emotional health and being happy.


And my inspiration for all these simple step activities was the Simple Start plan from Weight Watchers. They encouraged me to do good things for myself as the start for healthy living. The best part is doing something just for me, to #lovehealthyme, is so simple!

I still have another week in my committment to myself, but the truth is I want to keep going. My small steps may be a reminder to love myself, but the effects have benefited my whole family.

What is one thing you do for yourself?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!