Thursday, April 16, 2015

Savory Monkey Bread Stuffed Bundt #BundtBakers


My youngest, it turns out, just loves bread. I think he may be re-awakening my passion for dough and yeast. He definitely has inspired me to give my poor neglected sourdough starter a little love.

One of the things I have wanted to make for a while is Monkey Bread. The savory variety has really caught my interest and with the new-found love of mini pepperoni in our house, I knew it was time to get baking. Monkey bread seemed like the perfect treat to serve my guys this past weekend.

It was warm, flavorful and helped to make our whole house smell amazing!

It also happened to be the perfect thing to whip up in a bundt pan.... I haven't been able to justify a "Monkey Bread" flute pan yet, and perfect for this month's bundt challenge.

BundtBakers


#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page

 We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. The theme for April is "Hidden Surprise" - Bundt cakes with fillings or stuffing. There was no constraint on filling and flavor choices.The only requirement was that the cake be filled/stuffed inside. 

Anshie from SpiceRoots was our host for this month. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.


Now, on to the monkey bread.

I created mine with a little help from my bread machine. It is such a time saver on the dough cycle. Just dump everything in your bread machine pan as directed by the manufacturer.


Then when it is done I sprayed my bundt pan and started dividing the dough. I created walnut-sized balls of dough, just big enough to cover a small cube of cheese. This recipe made about 28 balls. Wrap each ball around a little Mozzarella cheese, then pinch it closed.


Then I made my seasoning mix and got a dish with olive oil. Roll each ball to cover with oil and seasoning, then place it in the bundt pan.


I layered the seasoned balls of dough in the pan and added in some mini pepperoni and finely grated Parmesan Cheese.

Doesn't it look good?


Then I put this in the oven to bake.

Once it is cool enough to touch, invert the pan and serve with a bowl of your favorite marinara sauce. Use a spatula or silicone spreader to help coax any stuck bits out of the pan. I had a few little bits of stubborn pepperoni holding on for dear life!

But, it was so delicious. A great hit with both my guys.

Savory Monkey Bread Stuffed Bundt

You Will Need:
  • 1 1/8 c. water
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 c. nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1/3 c. potato flakes
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. instant yeast
  • 1/2 c. mozzarella, cubed
  • 1/4 c.. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. Italian Herb seasoning (or a combination of thyme, oregano, parsley, basil)
  • 1 Tbsp. dry parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 c. mini pepperoni
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Combine all the bread ingredients in your bread machine, as recommended in the manual. Put on the dough cycle and let it complete through the final rise.

Combine all the dry herbs and seasoning in a small bowl. Put the olive oil in a separate bowl. 

Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Divide the bread dough in half and then each ball till you achieve around 28 balls total. Fill each ball with a cube of mozzarella, pinch to close, then dip in the olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning mix. Place the finished ball in the bundt pan and repeat with a layer (roughly a third) of the dough. Sprinkle this layer with 1/3 of the mini pepperoni and a little grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat with another layer of dough then more pepperoni and cheese, Finish by topping the final layer with the remaining cheese and pepperoni.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread is golden brown on top. Use a spatula to help remove from the pan. Invert onto a serving platter and serve with a bowl of marinara for dipping.

Enjoy! 



And my hidden surprise? Yes, melted mozzarella in each little bite of this monkey bread. Yum!


Ready to see what all the other Bunt Bakers created this month? Check out these links:


Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!