Thursday, July 21, 2016

Peaches and Cream Crepes

Sweet and creamy mascarpone topped with fresh, ripe peaches, wrapped in a warm crepe and dusted with powder sugar to create these Peaches and Cream Crepes.



This summer everything has come early on the farm. It has been a pretty crazy spring and summer season. We had strawberries in May, Cherries followed shortly after and now... peaches. All came earlier than usual.

Even dinner seems to come earlier than expected each night and I am often left scrambling to make something my whole family will enjoy.



This month I am embarking on a new adventure with the Improv Cooking Challenge. They challenged us all to come up with a "Peaches and Cream" recipe, and this one definitely won me over. I really wanted to keep things simple and let those luscious peaches take center stage. The mascarpone was just an added bonus!

If you feel up to a challenge, you can join in on the fun. The Improv Cooking Challenge posts the 3rd Thursday of each month.


Peaches will probably always be a mystery to me... my husband tends the orchard and I wait impatiently for him to tell me they are finally ripe. But, when to pick the perfect peach with just a little time to finish ripening on the counter is tough! I am too impatient. I would rather eat them straight from the tree. Instead, I wait every year for my husband to bring home the first peaches... and I watch them carefully till they are just tender enough to slice.

Peaches always make me think of that scene in the Japanese movie Tampopo where the crazy old woman is squeezing and bruising the peaches, bread, or really anything she can get her hands on. Too bad she didn't know about Charmin, right? She may have been a little overzealous, but  how do you pick the perfect peach... how do you find one that isn't too mushy or bruised, but right at the peak of ripeness?

To to be perfectly honest, once I have a ripe peach I usually just slice and eat it on the spot. No recipe necessary.

This challenge was a great way to break out of my peach rut though. I know I will be making these crepes a few more times before our peaches are done for the year. They still allow me to enjoy the perfection of a ripe peach, without too much fuss and bother.


Making crepes is a skill I would love to master. I consider myself to be pretty good, but I want to keep practicing. Practice, practice, practice... eating all the way! Crepes really are much easier than you might think. I still need to get myself a spreader for even batter distribution.

I have a great basic crepe recipe, my go to recipe, I posted a few years back and I still haven't found one to top it. Just omit the sugar and add herbs if you want a great savory crepe. But that recipe is what I used here for our crepes. I always have a few left over and freeze them for future crepe needs.

So, ready to assemble your own Peaches and Cream Crepe?


Peaches and Cream Crepes

You will need:

  • Crepes - frozen or freshly made are fine. This is my favorite recipe.
  • 4 peaches, thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 c. mascarpone cheese 
  • 3 Tbsp. heavy cream, or more to achieve spreading consistency
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • Confectioners sugar, for dusting
Sprinkle lemon juice on peaches to prevent browning.

Whip together the mascarpone cheese with heavy cream  and sugar till the mixture is light and spreadable.

Spread a layer in the middle of a crepe and top with slices of peach. Fold over and dust generously with powdered sugar before serving.

*Note - the crepes can be made ahead of time and frozen between sheets of wax paper. Thaw to room temperature and heat briefly in a pan to make them more pliable. This makes the dish even more weeknight friendly! 

Enjoy! 





Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!