Monday, July 18, 2011

Grapefruit Cake #Recipe - Secret Recipe Club

I was lucky to see a Secret Recipe Club post back in June, I was immediately interested and signed up to join the fun in July. Organized by Amanda, the blogger behind Amanda’s Cookin‘, food bloggers can sign up to be assigned a blog from the list to visit, try out and then blog about. This is a great way to find new recipes and other great blogs.

This is my first month with the Secret Recipe Club, and I was given Big Fat Baker's blog to secretly peruse and bake from. Once I saw her Grapefruit Cake with tangy Grapefruit Frosting, I knew I had a winner!

I love citrus, but have never heard of a making a cake from grapefruit. This recipe has three parts... the cake, a Grapefruit curd and topped with a Grapefruit buttercream. Yes, grapefruit is definitely the star.

Start by making the cake...

You Will Need:
2/3 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. grapefruit zest
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. fresh grapefruit juice
3/4 c. whole milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease the cake pans. I am loving Wilton's cake release for this.

Cream the butter and sugar in your stand mixer. Then add the eggs, 1 at a time till fully incorporated. Stir in the zest and vanilla.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding this to the mixer and the grapefruit juice. Start and end with the flour mixture. Then stir in the milk. Pour into your prepared cake pans. The original recipe called for 3 pans, but I only had 2. Just adjust your time accordingly.


Bake for 20-30 minutes and test the centers with a toothpick. It will come out clean when done. Cool the cakes completely on a rack. I like to bake the night before I assemble a cake.

Then I made the Grapefruit curd. Oh, my goodness! It is so tasty on it's own.

You Will Need:
8 large egg yolks
1/2 c. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
1/2 c. lemon juice + 2 Tbsp.
1 grapefruit zested
1 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/4 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into smaller pieces.

Combine the egg yolks, juice, half the zest and sugar in a saucepan. Whisk and turn on medium heat stirring constantly. Do not boil the mixture. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, one cube at a time. This is a crucial step. Add the butter too quickly and the mixture can break. So, for the first few cubes, go slowly. Take your time. Stir until smooth and store this in the refrigerator.

Okay, now you have the cake and the filling... it is time to dress it up with some buttercream.I added the butter flavoring, meringue powder for stiffness and water to reach a good medium consistency for easy icing.

For the buttercream,
You Will Need:
1  1/2 c. of grapefruit juice
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. meringue powder
2 c. powdered sugar
* 1-2 tsp. water for the right consistency
1 Tbsp. meringue powder

First reduce the grapefruit juice by half to a thick syrup over medium heat. Allow this to come to room temperature before continuing with the recipe.





Beat the butter, then add in other ingredients, except the grapefruit syrup. Slowly pour in the syrup to taste. I used it all, but it ended up a little salty. Next time I will only use half.

Now you can assemble this work of grapefruit art. Level the cakes and then pipe a dam of buttercream around the edge of the first layer. I used the Wilton tip 12 and a pastry bag. Then I filled the center with the grapefruit curd. Top with the other cake and then frost it.

Oh, yum. The cake was moist... the curd was tangy and flavorful. The overall experience was grapefruit, but it was not overpowering. I was truly in grapefruit bliss!!! I have a big thank you to give to Big Fat Baker, this is now on a very short list of my favorite cakes.

If you want to join in on the fun next month, sign up for the Secret Recipe Club: http://www.amandascookin.com/p/secret-recipe-club.html

Check out all the other great bloggers and recipes in the Linky:







Pin It

22 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous, delicious cake! I found you via From the Bookshelf, who made your tortillas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the mention, and wonderful job on the cake! This was a huge hit with my boyfriend. I am feeling a little inspiration to make it agian :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good, yet so unexpected. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grapefruit curd sounds fabulous all on its own, but along with the cake I bet it was superb! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look georgeous and delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! Your cake looks amazing and is making my mouth water! This is my first month with the club too and I think its fabulous! Happy to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I'm obsessed with grapefruit so this is, like, my dream cake! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. never heard of a grapefruit cake, looks delicious. thanks for the post. My hubby loves grapefruit http://thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com/will have to try this. Keep baking andi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. I'm on a huge grapefruit kick right now, but had never considered cake. Hm....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! I adore grapefruit baked goods, and this one looks extra delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a baked good with grapefruit before. I'm wary about layered cakes, but it's on my bucket list. I think you've convinced me to choose this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried a grapefruit cake but this one sounds wonderful.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very prettily presented cake,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! So pretty, I love your cake stand. Grapefruit cake is so surprising - I had a piece a few years back and wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do, considering that I hate grapefruit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake turned out beautiful (and I'm sure delicious)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm...that sounds great! I've never had a grapefruit cake. Lovely.

    Glad to be part of SRC with you!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds so delightful!You made me curious!I never knew that you can use grapefruits in cake recipes!Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grapefruit is such a great cake flavor! So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I already tried this yesterday and it really taste good. Texture of the cake is so perfect and my kids really loving it with some chocolate syrup on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grapefruit flavor in my cake is new to me actually your cake doesn't looks like that it taste grapefruit. This will be a nice treat for my kids after they clean their rooms and finish their homework.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!