Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Secret #Recipe Club - Special Baked Oatmeal Edition!

Last month I joined in on the Secret Recipe Club and had a blast! You can find out more about it on their new blog http://secretrecipeclub.com/

Secret Recipe Club'
Did you catch my Grapefruit cake recipe?

Well, the group has grown so much, it now has 3 groups each with different posting dates. My official date will be later this month. The best part about the group is I meet a new blogger, try their recipe, blog about it, and someone does the same for a recipe on my little 'ole blog!

But, sometimes things happen. This month, one pour blog, Connor's Cooking, was left out. Read more about it here. Isn't that a shame? Well, it is such a fabulous group of food bloggers that many people stepped up and wanted to help out. We are all linking up to make a recipe off the blog. It just seems like a nice way to share the blogging love.

I selected the Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal.

I love oatmeal and happened to have everything in my pantry to whip this one up. Yum! It is a good one.

The list of ingredients is fairly simple:

You will need:
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced

Optional Toppings:
brown sugar
dried cranberries
chopped almonds
toasted wheat germ

Preheat oven to 350. I used 2 8x6 baking dishes since I wanted to make a plain apple one for my DH and one with additional toppings for myself. Spray the dishes with non-stick spray and set aside.


In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites and vanilla.


Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in diced apples.


Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan. As I said before, I topped one with a little brown sugar, and the other, for myself, I added craisins, sliced almonds and a little toasted wheat germ.

Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and serve warm. Add additional toppings to baked oatmeal, if desired.




A big thank you to Connor's Cooking for the recipe. It was enjoyed!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I was looking at this one to make as it looks delicious but I was missing a few ingredients and too lazy to run to the store so I did something else. It was fun coming together and cooking from Connor's Cooking. I hope that you'll check out the Nutella Crêpes which I made from her blog.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made Baked Oatmeal. This recipe was on my short list. I'll try it soon. What a fun blog to cook from, so many choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Delicious

    Hey I am one of your newest folllowers :) Come by my blog site & please follow me back thanks so much. Have a great day!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM! Such a great breakfast treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat oatmeal often too but have not tried it baked yet. Will eventually I'm sure...this looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to make a recipe from my blog! I had almost forgotten about this recipe - I might need to bust it out again soon! :)

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. But it reminds me that winter is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!