Saturday, October 15, 2011

MSCC: Pumpkin Brown Butter Cupcakes

Fall is not only full of gorgeous colors, but such a wonderful mix of seasonal fruit, vegetables and spices. I love having fresh apples and pumpkins on hand to bake with.

Just the other week I made pumpkin puree and am just getting into recipes to use it.

This month I am joining in with Martha Stewart Cupcake Club (MSCC) and they are baking their way through Martha Stewart's Cupcakes cookbook.  Each month a new cupcake is chosen, and this month's selection is from Monica at My Cupcake Journey. She picked the Pumpkin Brown Butter Cupcakes with Brown Butter Icing.
 
Oh, my! These caught my eye when I first flipped through the book. I have had a lot of "Ho-hum" pumpkin cupcakes in the past, but this recipe looked different. 

Packed with pumpkin complementing spices, a bit of sage in the browned butter and a browned butter depth of flavor in both the cupcake and in the frosting, makes this little cupcake something special. The flavors are deep and comforting. My husband and I were both big fans of this one.



I was a rebel with the recipe though, the book called for a very delicate "naked" cupcake without a liner. Though it was a nice look, I really hate washing muffin tins. I enjoy a more grab-n-go approach to a cupcake dessert. Well, at least this time.

As for the rest, I stuck with the original recipe and was not disappointed.

I just love smelling the combination of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg in the kitchen. To me that is the heart and soul of Fall. Fall is spicy, warm and inviting.  These little cupcakes lived up to all those expectations and then some.

If you bake these I highly suggest finding yourself a little kitchen helper. Mine did a fabulous job and kept all the batter inside the bowl.


Don't forget about the brown butter. It is such a star in this treat.

If sage in a sweet treat has you skeptical, never fear. As the butter browns the sage becomes crispy and wonderful. It permeates the butter with a lovely flavor that complements the pumpkin and other spices so well.

My only issue is cleaning up after making brown butter. I really hate the mess left in the pan. I do have a quick tip to help make clean up easier and will post it at the end of this post.

I loved this recipe! Since it was my first with the club, I expect more great things to come. The cupcake was both moist and rich. The brown butter brought a decadence to the cupcake, but at the same time it wasn't overly sweet. I think it is a grown up flavor to appreciate, but sweet enough that even children would want a bite.

Stop by the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club  to see the other bakers' posts. Next month the group will be making a Ginger and Molasses Cupcakes (p. 52 - 53) selected by Rebecca at Beurrista.


As for my little cleaning tip? Well, browning butter left my post looking a little like this:


Soaking it right away can help, but to really get it clean, put a little baking soda in the bottom. Add just enough water to make a paste and then add in a little of your own elbow grease with a sponge.






Simple enough and you will have a sparkling pot back in no time. I hope the tip helps.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Hi Owen's Mom! Thanks so much for joining us this month! I agree that these were delicious! Love the tip on getting the pan clean! I sopped up my burnt butter bits with a bit of bread! :-) Hope to see you next month!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes sound yummy! I have had the Martha Stewart cupcake book for several years and I just cracked it open last month for the first time and made the applesauce-spice cupcakes, the cookies and cream cupcakes, and the Devil's food cupcakes. I am not really sure why I have never used it until now...Ok maybe I know why teaching, two babies in three years... anyway I will have to get the book back out and try these out this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed these too. The flavors were delightful and the browned butter icing was my favorite part. Yours look delish and the kiddo is adorable too! Thanks for baking along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. I really hate cleaning muffin pans, too. Takes F O R E V E R ! I, too, use baking soda for stuck-on messes. It's especially great in a crock pot! And if the mess is really stuck, you can add a little vinegar to help eat it away (just don't use too much - it bubbles like crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cupcakes but really lazy into baking. Hahahah, after reading this post I have to go get me some cup cakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look amazing! And your little helper is just adorable!!
    Thanks so much for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I'm just checking these links now (10 days late is better than never, right) but your cupcakes look phenomenal!

    http://littlespindle-dani.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-brown-butter-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!