Monday, October 17, 2011

Sesame Crackers with The Secret Recipe Club - #Recipe

With October here, it is time for another great blog and recipe from The Secret Recipe Club!


Secret Recipe Club

So, what's the big secret?

SRC members are assigned a participating blog, they can go through recipes, drool over posts and photos till a recipe is chosen to try. The "Ta-dah!" reveal is kept secret until today.  Sound like fun? This is the brain-child of Amanda from Amanda’s Cookin’, and you can join up, see the other blogs involved and get all the deets at The Secret Recipe Club blog.

This month I was assigned Rochelle's blog The Pretend Chef.  A Steeler's Fan with a love of food and cooking, it was a pleasure browsing her blog. In the end, I chose the Sesame Crackers. I never tried making my own crackers before, and was excited by how easy and tasty they are!

You Will Need:
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour (+ more as needed to make a workable dough)
  • 1 c. toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 c. low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/3 c. canola oil
  • 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
Okay, doesn't that sound easy? My biggest change to the recipe was adding more flour. My dough was initially too sticky to roll out. I added and added till it was tacky, but roll-able.

Start by toasting your sesame seeds. I like to prepare mine in a cast iron skillet.


Turn them and stir so they deepen in color, but do not burn.


I just love how my kitchen smells after I toast seeds or nuts. Once toasted, set these aside to cool and prepare the other ingredients.

In the stand mixer I combined all the dry ingredients including the cooled seeds. Start with only 1 c. of flour, you will add more as needed. In a medium bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.


Now combine the two till a dough comes together. I had to add an extra cup of flour (2 total). The dough should pull away from the bowl and still be a little tacky.


I love how the dough looks with all the seeds. Beautiful.

Wrap the dough up and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Then lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough nice and thin. I like to use wax paper over my dough so the roller can move freely.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

I used the Wilton mini fondant cutters to cut out fun Fall shapes. Leaves and some Halloween silhouettes added a little Holiday flair to my crackers.


Because they were small, I adjusted the cooking time from 20 to 18 minutes. Cook for the first half, then flip the crackers and turn your baking sheet. The goal is to get an even golden brown.


Loved the recipe and will be enjoying these again! Thanks for sharing Rochelle.

Check out all the other SRC bloggers revealing their assignments today:
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Omg, these are my favorite crackers ever and I had no idea that they were so easy to make at all! I might have to make these today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh crackers! Its always nice to see a salty/savory cracker once in a while. I cant wait to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael had my blog...and I saw these crackers on the link hop and came running over to check these out. Small world :)

    They look awesome! Love the SRC and all the new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look like a tasty and easy snack I need to try very soon! Great SRC pick...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good - love the idea of making your own crackers. I enjoy Rochelle's blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'll have to make these for my husband. He loves sesame crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andrea,
    I just love these Sesame Crackers, they look so yummy! Thanks for sharing and it is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
    Miz Helen
    Southwest Corn and Potato Soup

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look sooo yummy! I have to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The toasted sesame seeds would be such a nice flavor for crackers. I love the cute shapes you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such fun looking crackers, I bet my daughter would love making and eating these.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Looks great! Fun to participate in SRC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now crackers. You really are adventurous in the kitchen! I loved your naked oatmeal. I have made it 3 times now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The recipe you have shared over here really looks delicious and awesome and definitely try out these diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to try making my own crackers and this recipe looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks yum!!!! Would be great for my toddlers snack box!

    http://ruchisimplyfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy that you enjoyed these crackers. My son went crazy for them and requested I make more for his snacks. I love that you cut them into shapes rather than strips. Looks so delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!