Monday, February 13, 2012

Bread Machine Challah - The Secret Recipe Club

It's December (already?), and time for another great blog and recipe from The Secret Recipe Club!

Secret Recipe Club

This month I had the honor of being assigned Mostly Food And Crafts. Danielle has an assortment of delicious recipes, favorites Pinterest pins and family posts. Being a crafty Mom myself, I enjoyed browsing around her blog. Of course, I found many great recipes to drool over!

At first I was overwhelmed. How do I choose from so many delicious sounding (and looking!) recipes. As usual one particular recipe jumped out at me. It was Danielle's Bread Machine Challah. Oh, boy!

I got a new bread machine, a Zojirushi, recently and I am always looking to test drive new recipes. I also made my first, and second challah bread loaves last year and loved them. This was the perfect choice.

You Will Need:
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs, room temp
  • 5 c. bread or AP flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
For Egg Wash
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. water
Place ingredients in your machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the dough cycle and press Start. I like to watch my dough during the first need. If anything is left on the sides of my machine I can scrape them down and adjust the water or flour.

When it's done, take the dough out, and place it on a lightly floured counter, punch the dough down, and let rest for 5 minutes.

Divide the dough in half. Set one half aside. Then divide the dough into 3 equal pieces, roll into ropes about 12 to 14 inches, and braid into a loaf. Do the same with the other half.  Put the loaves on a greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water.
Brush risen loaves with egg mixture. Bake for about  25 minutes. If it begins to brown too soon, cover with foil.  

Enjoy! Eat it fresh, or challah makes amazing french toast, too.

Also be sure to check out the other great recipes and blogs on the Secret Recipe Club Linky below.

Pin It