Monday, February 13, 2012

Bread Machine Challah - The Secret Recipe Club


It's December (already?), and time for another great blog and recipe from The Secret Recipe Club!


Secret Recipe Club


This month I had the honor of being assigned Mostly Food And Crafts. Danielle has an assortment of delicious recipes, favorites Pinterest pins and family posts. Being a crafty Mom myself, I enjoyed browsing around her blog. Of course, I found many great recipes to drool over!

At first I was overwhelmed. How do I choose from so many delicious sounding (and looking!) recipes. As usual one particular recipe jumped out at me. It was Danielle's Bread Machine Challah. Oh, boy!

I got a new bread machine, a Zojirushi, recently and I am always looking to test drive new recipes. I also made my first, and second challah bread loaves last year and loved them. This was the perfect choice.


You Will Need:
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs, room temp
  • 5 c. bread or AP flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
For Egg Wash
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. water
Place ingredients in your machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the dough cycle and press Start. I like to watch my dough during the first need. If anything is left on the sides of my machine I can scrape them down and adjust the water or flour.

     
When it's done, take the dough out, and place it on a lightly floured counter, punch the dough down, and let rest for 5 minutes.

Divide the dough in half. Set one half aside. Then divide the dough into 3 equal pieces, roll into ropes about 12 to 14 inches, and braid into a loaf. Do the same with the other half.  Put the loaves on a greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water.
Brush risen loaves with egg mixture. Bake for about  25 minutes. If it begins to brown too soon, cover with foil.  

Enjoy! Eat it fresh, or challah makes amazing french toast, too.

Also be sure to check out the other great recipes and blogs on the Secret Recipe Club Linky below.

Pin It

20 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. My mom I think has that same brand rice cooker. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You got my blog - your challah looks great! I'm going to hang out and look around a bit - have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I've always wanted to make a Challah bread. I no longer have a bread machine, but I'm sure that my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer will do a fine job of these. I'll bet this makes great French Toast. Welcome to the SRC Club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread looks WONDERFUL! I hope I didn't screw up because I thought that I had Mostly Food and Crafts as my secret blogger! That's what the email said. Oh well, we'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this bread. I don't have a fancy machine like you but I wonder if I could make it with my mixer. I've always wanted a bread machine but I just don't have the space for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! does my family love challah. Yours looks amazing. I am new to group B so its nice to meet you ( and your blog) Hope you will come over and visit me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had Challah bread before but your's looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The challah looks beautiful, the braiding looks perfect. I've never been able to braid it when I've tried. In fact, my favourite bakery makes a round challah all year round, not just during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous challah!!! Hopping over from Group C to check out the most enticing photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bread sounds delicious and you did a beautiful job with the braid.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm challah, this inspires me to make bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your challah looks beautiful! I don't have a bread machine, but I remember making challah as a young girl. Great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've debated about getting a bread machine for years. Do you feel like you use it enough to get your money's worth? I'm visiting from SRC, but I'd love if you check out my new site too! Seasonalpotluck.com February is oranges month, so if you have any orange recipes, we'd love if you'd link up! http://bit.ly/zDoNfx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a gorgeous looking loaf of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Challah is so delicious and yours look perfect. It's one bread I truly miss since I'm gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really, really beautiful bread. I am horrible at bread making. But I must give this a try. I know that practice will make perfect! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh... I'm jealeous of your Z! Looks like it produced a very nice challah dough for you. Stunning finished loaves!!

    If you haven't had a chance, please stop by and visit my SRC post for Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies

    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2012/02/giant-chocolate-toffee-cookies.html

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  18. that bread looks beautiful! I need to get a bread machine! Great bread recipe for The Secret Recipe Club

    ReplyDelete
  19. huh. i never thought to make challah in the bread machine.. too bad mine bit the dust a couple months back. Meh, that's what hands are for right? ;) Happy SRC day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi yaa, the Bread looks great, thanks for sharing this.., I have bought a new bread machine, I would love to try this out.., great post for SRC.., bread looks so lovely, do visit me when you have time for my SRC post

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!