Monday, November 12, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Syrup for Pumpkin Lattes - #SRC recipe


Has the Winter chill hit your area yet? Wouldn't you love to curl up in front of a crackling fire with one of these?

I will admit to having an unnatural weakness to pumpkin. I don't wait for the holidays to bake or cook with it, but the cold weather tends to make my normal cravings even stronger. From bread to pancakes, pumpkin rolls to bars, I am a bit of a pumpkin nut.

Now, since I am also 2 months pregnant, this means my pumpkin desire might just borderline on crazy. When browsing Wholesome RD, I may or may not have had heart flutters when I saw this recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Syrup for coffee drinks. I also may or may not have also added this syrup to my hot cocoa... yeah, it was ah-mazing!



Secret Recipe Club 



Erin has a great site!  She is a Registered Dietitian dishing up her favorite recipes, a runner, mom and photography enthusiast. Just take a peak around her site, I am sure there are many things that will catch your eye.



This recipe is super simple! Tweak it to your own tastes and never have to splurge on a coffee stand pumpkin flavored coffee again. As you know, I am a country girl so making things at home is a necessity and my guilty pleasure. I went ahead and added a bit more spices to my syrup mixture and found it the perfect way to start a cold morning.


With the holidays coming up, this would also make a fabulous hostess gift. Just wrap it up with some sparkly kitchen twine or a big seasonal bow. As a side benefit, making this will make your whole home smell fabulous and inviting.


Homemade Pumpkin Syrup
adapted from Wholesome RD

You Will Need:
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 cup water
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


Combine all ingredients in a small, heavy bottom saucepan. Simmer till reduced by half, whisking constantly to keep it from burning.

Remove from the heat when it reaches the consistency of maple syrup. Let it cool slightly, then pour into a heat proof container and store in the fridge. Keeps for 2-3 weeks.

*Note - If using mason jars, be sure to warm the glass slightly under warm water before pouring in a hot liquid.



Now check out all the other great Secret Recipe Club recipes for November:

Andrea
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it! I have yet to make it this year! Need to get on that!! :) Love your cute little blog too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM! this will deter a lot of trips to Starbucks. Great choice for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! This is great since there's no Starbucks close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great recipe to have. Simple to make and super special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that sounds so simple and SO delicious! What a great choice! And congratulations on your pregnancy - so exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that! Pumpkin syrup-I'll have to make that for Thanksgiving morning! Looks easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to make your pumpkin syrup for my Latte, and this is a great recipe for the SRC.
    Have a good week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pumpkin spice lattes-I definitely need to make this syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant. I'm going to make this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Various cooking class is available hear ,you can learn various cooking style by reading this book .Really I am very much benefited to purchase this book ,some days ago I was very helpless in my kitchen, I can’t prepare my daily meal but now i prepared daily meal without any problem and reduse the time, I make my food solution ,so suggest you to collect this book hear,you can see about this book
    Please visit this link
    http://www.facepack.in?a_aid=shuvo701

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!