Sunday, May 11, 2014

Star Wars Coaster Creations - Easy Wool Dyeing and Felting with Kool-Aid Beverages

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser. #KoolOff  #CollectiveBias



There are two things that  left a big impression on my childhood... Kool-Aid drinks and Star Wars. What can I say? I was a child of the 80's. 

Of course I have grown up now, but I haven't outgrown my two favorites. Instead of sipping Kool-Aid out of tupperware cups and playing with my C-3PO action figure now, I plan to #KoolOff this Summer with the latest news and gossip about Star Wars episode 7 (Yay!)  with a cold drink perched on top of my own felted Star Wars coasters. 

Now I went and let my geeky side show, didn't I?

Kool-Aid dyeing has been on my craft bucket list for a while now, and felted coasters seemed like the easiest place to start. I love quick projects that can be done over a weekend. It gave me the chance to dye both wool felt and wool roving. The sugar-free powder doesn't require any added setting agents because of the citric acid. That is what gives the no sugar drink mix a sour taste.


I headed into my local Walmart to grab the supplies I would need. I had my sights set on the drink aisle and getting a dozen little packs for some color play. Just inside the door I was greeted by these signs for the new ready to drink 96 oz. bottles. Handy, don't you think?

 The perfect blend of nostalgia and fun all ready to go.


There are two things you need when dyeing with Kool-Aid:
  • Natural Fibers (wool works really well, look for felt with a high wool content)
  • Drink Mixes with no sugar added
I  grabbed an assortment of sugar-free mix packets. I grabbed several colors and flavors so I could experiment with mixing them for the perfect shades. I knew I would need green, orange, maroon and blue.


Dyeing is easy. Dye your wool felt or wool roving at least a day ahead of  when you plan to use it. This will allow ample time for your fiber to dry completely.

  1. Assembly your materials. You will need drink packets, natural fibers, water, microwave safe containers and a microwave
  2. Gently rinse your wool with warm water, be careful not to agitate it but make sure it is thoroughly wet. Any agitation will cause it to start felting. Fill your containers with just enough warm water to cover the fiber.
  3. Whisk the drink mix and water, then submerge the warm wool in it. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes intervals for 6-8 minutes, or until the water becomes clear and all the dye has been soaked into your fiber.
  4. Once cool enough to handle, rinse completely and spread the fiber out over mesh or a drying rack to dry completely.

For the base of the coasters I dyed 100% wool felt with a mixture of Mixed Berry and Tropical Punch mix. I sprinkled the top with just a pinch or two of Black Cherry and love how the color was deep but uneven.


Then I used a white fabric marking pen to create the outline for my design. Here you can see Boba Fett taking shape.


Then with a felting needle, or set of needles I added the wool roving a little at a time. It is a little like sculpting with wool. The hooks have small barbs at the end and every time I stab the wool it is pulled through the felt. A foam cushion is placed underneath to give the sharp felting needles a place to go.


Just a little gets pulled through the felt and that is what keeps the wool roving in place.


After a while the design starts to take shape. I think felting is a lot of fun and would suggest trying your hand at it. I love that it doesn't cost much to try.


Eventually I ended up with a set of 4 Star Wars inspired coasters. I added another layer of white felt to the bottom and attached them together with silver embroidery floss and the blanket stitch.  What do you think?


Check out more Kool-Aid fun with my recent posts for Kool-Aid Meringue Cookies and Kool-Aid Lip Gloss.


Come check out the fun. Jim Dillard, pro fisherman, could be coming to select Walmart locations to help promote the new 96oz bottles! There will be product giveaways, t-shirts, games, and more.


  • Friday May 30th 5-7pm: 13675 Highway 43 Russellville, AL WM Supercenter
  • Saturday May 31st 3-5pm: 3100 Hough Rd Florence, AL WM Supercenter
  • Saturday May 31st 6-8pm: 517 Avalon Ave Muscle Shoals, AL WM Supercenter
  • Friday June 20th 5-7pm: 1210 Mineral Wells Ave Paris, TN WM Supercenter
  • Saturday June 21st 3-5pm: 1225 Paris Rd Murray, KY WM Supercenter
  • Saturday June 21st 6-8pm: 809 N 12th St Murray, KY WM Supercenter
  • Friday August 8th 5-7pm: 360 Harbison Blvd Columbia, SC WM Supercenter
  • Saturday August 9th  3-5pm: 1326 Bush River Rd Columbia, SC WM Supercenter
  • Saturday August 9th 6-8pm: 2401 Augusta Rd West Columbia, SC WM Supercenter
Have you ever crafted with Kool-Aid? What is your favorite flavor?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!