Monday, June 9, 2014

DIY 4th of July Baby Outfit


Independence Day is just around the corner and  I'm busy working on shirts for each of the kids. Of course, they all have different  ideas on what they want to wear. I just enjoy the chance to make them something special to wear for the holiday. My youngest doesn't have much input yet, but I am excited to introduce him to the fun of the 4th. You know, BBQ weather, fireworks and parades?

I wanted to make Elliott something festive and comfortable so I used the Silhouette to cut a vinyl stencil and used fabric paint for the design to decorate both a onesie and cotton pants.


This was my first time creating a fabric stencil and it was very easy.  No, really, if I could do it...


I found a graphic outline for the statue of liberty and then added USA underneath. This design involved large peices so weeding the stencil was easy. Just take away the design you wish to paint onto the fabric.


Then I picked up the stencil with transfer tape. It is sticky enough to pick up all the small peices and details, but will peel back off the stencil easily once it is placed. There were a few small peices in this design in the crown of lady liberty and also some stars in the words below.


I paid special attention to the edges of my stencil and was careful to dab the fabric paint on the shirt, taking care not to push it under the vinyl. Once the paint dried I peeled off the stencil and was left with a simple and cute outfit for my youngest to wear for the upcoming holiday.


So simple, so easy! Now I can't wait to get started on the rest of the family. Less than a month to get them all done, plenty of time considering this only took me a morning from start to finish.

Have you tried out Silhouette's vinyl stencil material yet? What would you make with it?


Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!

  Monogrammed Patriotic Serving Tray Captain American Romper Patriotic Burlap Stars (Pottery Barn Knockoff) Patriotic Onesie {Plus Free Cut File} Patriotic Shirts with Layered Heat Transfer Vinyl DIY Patriotic Tote Bag Red, White & Blue - Patriotic Decorations How To Create DIY Temporary Tattoos Made in America Freezer Paper July 4th Shirts Red, White, and Blue Paper Star Lanterns Fourth of July Rustic Flag Paper Sparklers Pretty Patriotic Pillow Nautical Star Burlap Banner: Stencil Material Tutorial Patriotic Map Art Wooden Fire Crackers; July Silhouette Challenge DIY Chalkboard and Vinyl World Map Let's Talk about Red White and Blue! DIY 4th of July Baby Outfit How To Make A Pinwheel {+ Free Template} Patriotic Nail Art Star Jewelry Vinyl on Wood Blocks Land That I Love Red, White, and Blue Patriotic Placemats DIY Paint Splattered Patriotic Tote Bag Patriotic Mason Jar Candle Holders
1. Our Rosey Life // 2. My Mom Made That // 3. The Kim Six Fix // 4. Create & Babble // 5. The Frill of Life // 6. My Paper Craze // 7. Kate's Paper Creations // 8. Simply Kelly Designs // 9. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 10. Mama Sonshine // 11. Lil Mrs. Tori // 12. Tried & True // 13. It Happens in a Blink // 14. McCall Manor // 15. The Thinking Closet // 16. unOriginal Mom // 17. Sowdering About // 18. Weekend Craft // 19. The Outlandish Momma // 20. Adventures in All Things Food // 21. Practically Functional // 22. Silhouette School // 23. Please Excuse My Craftermath... // 24. Ginger Snap Craft // 25. Pineapples And Pinecones // 26. Black and White Obsession // 27. TitiCrafty // 28. Architecture of a Mom // View all
llll

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!