Monday, December 8, 2014

Butter Rum Cupcakes


Every holiday season I looked forward to a particular warm and festive drink... a mug of Hot Buttered Rum, or Hot Toddy. Rich and warming from the inside out, it is something I save for the holidays.

Hot Toddies are created with hot water, sugar, spices and alcohol... rum, brandy, whiskey, etc., and have been popular since Colonial America. I have to say that I understand why.

Today my fellow bloggers and I are celebrating all kinds of cupcakes (National Cupcake Day is December 18th) and I had to turn my favorite seasonal drink into a yummy cupcake. Okay, I went very light handed on the rum, just a little added to the cake batter, but it is still filled with spices and rum flavoring in a simple butter cake recipe. Nice, right?


The whole house smelled amazing while these little beauties were baking. I think it was all the rich spices.


To top my rum butter cakes, I made a very simple rum butter cream then dashed the top of each with a little more nutmeg. Simple perfection.

And since I know you are dying to jump right into the recipe, here it is. Be sure to check out the bottom of my post for a list of all the other bloggers who wanted to share their love of cupcakes today. Maybe we will inspire you to bake up one of our treats on National Cupcake Day next week.


Buttered Rum Cupcakes

You Will Need:

  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg + more for dusting cupcakes
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 c. spiced rum
  • 1/2 c whole milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp. rum flavoring
  • 1 Tbsp. meringue powder
  • 3-4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tsp. milk, to achieve the correct consistency
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl between additions. 

In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, spices and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the rum, milk and vanilla extract. Add the dry and wet ingredients to the mixer, alternating until all is just combined.

Fill the cupcake pan 2/3 full and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating.

To make the buttercream, beat the butter in a stand mixer. Add a pinch of salt, rum flavoring and meringue powder. Beat in 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add the final cup slowly, as needed then thin with 1-2 teaspoons of milk to achieve a smooth and pipe-able consistency. 

I piped my cupcakes with a Wilton 3M tip, topped with holiday sprinkles and a dash of nutmeg.

Enjoy!



Today I am not the only baker sharing her cupcakes, there is a whole group of talented bloggers linking up and sharing some sweet treats. So dive right in and see what everyone has been busy baking.

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!