Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake - #BundtBakers


I have a great respect for the under-appreciated bundt cake. Sadly, I have never seen a bundt cake proudly displayed in a bakery window, or have seen a bundt featured on a dessert menu. But, it holds a special place in my heart for all the moist and creative flavor combinations that can be made in a bundt pan.

I own quite a few myself, but still have several bundt designs that I would love to add to my collection. My husband just rolls his eyes. But that man wouldn't dare turn down a slice of bundt cake!


Since I haven't even begun to exhaust all the fun bundt recipes out there, I went in search of a baking group that might share my passion.

BundtBakers

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

This month's host was Laura from The Spiced Life. A big thank you to her for coordinating all of us.  She challenged us to use mint in any shape, way or form to create something magical this month. I chose to create a Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake. ...and let me tell you, this recipe is a keeper!


With the hectic schedule this month, I thought chocolate was in order. I recently ordered some various dark cocoas from King Arthur Flour and was excited to see how it baked. I also happen to be a peppermint fan, so choosing a way to incorporate mint was no problem.


I am almost embarrassed to say that this is the first time I have used my sifter. Usually I just use my whisk or break out the fine mesh sieve, but today I felt like being a little more careful. No sense ruining a perfectly good chocolate cake with lumps, right?

What I realized is that I don't have a lot of patience in the kitchen. Between photos, lighting, little kids and trying to make this cake, it took me way longer than anticipated. Luckily the cake was worth the wait.

Now, if you are intrigued by what the BundtBakers have been up to this month, check out the end of the post for a complete list of all the amazing cakes.


Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake

You Will Need:
  • 2 oz. dark chocolate, melting wafers roughly chopped
  • 1/2 c. boiling water
  • 1/4 c. scalded heavy cream
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 c. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp. espresso powder
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. cake enhancer
  • 1 c. buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c. canola oil
Preheat to 350 degrees. Prepare the 10-cup bundt pan with butter and cocoa.

Heat the water and heavy cream. Pour over the chocolate and stir till it is all melted. Set aside.

Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a stand mixer beat together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and oil. Add half the dry ingredients to the mixer, scrape down the sides before adding the remaining dry ingredients. Beat on low for another 3 minutes, then pour into the prepared bundt pan.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool before inverting and plating.

Top with a peppermint ganache.

You Will Need:

  • 1/4 c. heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
  • 5 oz. of dark chocolate melting wafers, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp. peppermint extract
Bring the heavy cream and corn syrup up to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate and stir to melt. Stir in the peppermint extract and let the ganache start to set up. Pour over a cooled bundt cake and sprinkle the top with crushed peppermint candy.

Enjoy! 



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!