Monday, November 9, 2015

Glittery Chipboard Gift Tags - November Silhouette Challenge


I know, I know... it was just Halloween and it is not even Thanksgiving yet, but I am already looking ahead and crafting to Christmas. I was really excited to jump back into the Silhouette Challenge with these simple and fun chipboard gift tags. November's theme is for $5 and Under Projects with a bonus challenge to use glitter. Getting started early on homemade wrapping solutions seemed like a great place to start.

I was able to accomplish both the price limit and the glitz with these easy jumbo gift tags. I was also able to finally use the double-sided adhesive, I have had in my stash, on a project. I am not sure why I waited so long to try it out. The adhesive was very durable and worked well for the intricate snowflake shape pictured above. I always worry about tearing complicated images, but this stuff was very easy to work with.


Luckily, this project only requires a few supplies:

  • Chipboard
  • Gift Tag outline for the Silhouette or Punch
  • Double-Sided Adhesive
  • Glitter
  • paint brush *helpful but not necessary
  • spatula *helpful but not necessary
  • Baker's twine
  • scissors


Why jumbo tags? Who says the tag doesn't matter when it is homemade and covered in glitter, right?  I wanted these to really pop and make a statement on our gifts this year.


I started by cutting out my chipboard gift tags. Then I selected 4 images from my library that would fit my Christmas theme as well as look darling in glitter. Big, simple outlines work well with the adhesive and the glitter.


Before cutting, I selected the double-sided adhesive paper and adjusted my blade as directed.

Weeding this project was easy, the hardest part was separating off the yellow backing before fixing them to my chipboard tags. I used my Silhouette spatula to help separate the layers.


You can see here that my most complicated design was the Christmas tree since I used 3 different colors of glitter. I started by sticking down the outline first, covering it in glitter, then adding the next piece and another color of glitter, etc.

I used a brush to make sure glitter was covering all the exposed adhesive before I shook off the excess glitter. It did a great job of getting the glitter in an even layer, especially around the edges of the image.


I also created some monochrome tags like this reindeer in gold, a Christmas star in blue and a snowflake in white.


This snowflake photo doesn't quite do the tag justice as the image stands out better offscreen.


And here are all 4 of my finished designs. What do you think?

So, how would you design your own glittery gift tags?

Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!

DIY Birthday BibSimple and Stunning Winter ArtGlittery Chipboard Gift Tags"Come Thou Fount" Stenciled Burlap Table RunnerHappy & Vibrant Greeting CardsBunco Water Bottle - White Elephant GiftMonogrammed Christmas OnesieBeautiful Thanksgiving Decor for Under $5Wine Sippy Cups with Funny SayingsThrifted Jewelry Box MakeoverDIY Decorative Vinyl Christmas Gift JarHarry Potter "Free Dobby" Odd Sock CollectorReindeer Candle Hurricanes with Washi Tape PlaidStar War Paper Play ShipsGlitter & Paper Christmas BannerUpcycled Measuring Cup
1. From Wine to Whine // 2. Creative Ramblings // 3. Adventures in All Things Food // 4. unOriginal Mom // 5. Small Stuff Counts // 6. Alayna's Creations // 7. Single Yet Married Mom // 8. Comfort and Yum // 9. Tori Grant Designs // 10. Cutesy Crafts // 11. The Crafting Nook // 12. Whatcha Workin' On? // 13. Architecture of a Mom // 14. Havalah // 15. Create & Babble // 16. A Time For Seasons
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!