Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dirt Under My Fingernails

Today started off with a wonderful surprise! We were all set to clean out our apartment. It is the final loose end in our move. When my MIL called to drop off 6 lovely blueberry plants. Yum! I even have the perfect spot all set out to put them. So it looks like tomorrow I will be up to my elbows in manure and dirt. I don't think I would want it any other way.

So, that means we have the 2 grape plants, 3 rhubarb and I planted a clump of cilantro today. Tomorrow I would love to amend the soil and get some chives, 3 tomato plants and a few other various herbs into the ground. I think this means we need to take a quick trip to get mulch & peat moss... maybe some bone meal for the tomato plants.

My seeds are starting to sprout and it is really exciting!!! I was shocked to see how fast the sunflowers (mainly for looks) sprouted. Nothing yet from the artichoke or eggplant seeds, but they still have some time.

I need to wait until Oregon is a little warmer before I take the basil and lettuce out to the garden. I can't wait!

So, what are you planting? Do you start you own seeds or buy plants?
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Even though we live in an apartment...I wanted a garden this year. So, so far we have one long planter (I hope to get 3 more but we are seeing how it goes) and planted Tomato seeds. Nothing has started showing yet but it's only been 6 days. I'm so jealous...blueberry plants and grape plants...mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What exactly is in the air? It is driving me to plant too! We just bought four earth boxes and will be up to our elbows in dirt in a few minutes! I tried already to plant some herbs from seeds...so far my dill's looking pretty awesome! Good luck with the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love to plant too! We planted tomatoes, radishes, bell peppers, banana peppers, hot peppers, squash, cucumbers, and a little basil for good measure. We buy plants, I don't think I could start with just seeds (other than the radishes). Our garden has tripled in size this year in hopes of cutting our grocery bill down. I've got my fingers crossed that it all doesn't die. It's such a good feeling to walk outside and pick your own fresh veggies for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!