Saturday, May 15, 2010

Savory Pat-in-Pan Crust

Do you make your own crusts? We try not to buy pre-made foods so I am working on a collection of pie crusts. If I can perfect them, then why buy? This time I was working on a savory crust for Friday night's quiche. I have made one other Pat-in-Pan crust when I made the Strawberry Diner Pie last year. It was easy, so I thought I would try it again.

The beauty of the Pat-in-Pan is that it has extra fat (cream cheese) to help it be more forgiving than the regular flour & shortening or flour & butter crust. Usually overworking makes the crust turn out tough. The Pat-in-Pan doesn't require a rolling pin. So easy!
You will need:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1-2 Tbsp cold water
herbs (optional)
In the stand mixer, beat your butter & cream cheese. In a separate bowl mix your dry ingredients with a whisk. On slow speed, add your dry ingredients. I would suggest a tsp or 2 of savory herbs like basil or rosemary. Then your dough should be in large clumps. It should come together in your hands. If not, add a Tbsp of water or two just to bring it all together.



Now form a disc and place it in the bottom of your 9" pie plate. Start from the middle and work it up the sides. It will work! It just takes a little love... and patience.

Then put your crust in the fridge for 20 minutes and then the freezer for an additional 10 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. while the crust is chilling.


Take out your crust and cut 2 squares of foil, lightly spray them with non-stick spray and curl it around the edges and down into your crust. Top with your pie weights. You can use dry beans or pennies to weight down your pie crust also. This just keeps the crust from forming big bubbles. And the weights don't actually touch the pie crust, so don't worry.

This is called a blind bake. You precook it before adding your filling for the final bake. Bake this with foil for 20-25 minutes. Just make sure it is dry, but don't over cook it. The Parmesan cheese can burn. Then take off the foil & weights (lift them off together) and bake for another 5 minutes.

Now your crust needs to cool for a few minutes and then you can add your filling. I made a Quiche with some odds and ends left over in our fridge. (broccoli, bacon, green onions, cheddar & swiss cheese.)
Enjoy!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This is Great! My A.S. son is in culinary school and loves to cook. Pizza type dishes is one of his favorite to experience with. :-) I showed him your post and of course we have to try it tomorrow. I quess I'm running to the store. lol That's ok, I love seeing him excited in the kitchen. Or just excited and happy! :-)
    Following and will be back soon! Hope you're having a Great weekiend! ~ Coreen

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!