Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Recalls - What Can I Eat?

Currently here in central Oregon we are in the midst of a few food recalls...

Eggs shipped to 17 different states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin could be tainted with Salmonella, and so far more than 1,300 people have reported getting sick from these tainted eggs. Cases of Salmonella have been reported in Arizona, California, Colorado, & as far as Minnesota, and Nevada, but most can’t be confirmed as related to the recalled eggs. How can you tell if your eggs have been recalled? Visit this site for more information.

Then on a smaller scale, our local dairy issued a voluntary recall of all their milk and orange juice due to Salmonella being found in the packaging machines.

So, after checking my eggs and dumping out my milk I wanted to clean out my whole fridge... I mean reading about Salmonella just gave me the desire to purge any possible expired or old food from our house. Honestly, the fridge needed a good clean out.

So, what is making everyone sick? Salmonella is one of the most common types of food poisoning and actually refers to a whole group of bacteria. food poisoning symptoms can start anytime from 8 hours after tainted food consumption to 2 days.. A person may start to experience mild to severe stomach pain or cramping, followed by diarrhea. Most people also suffer nausea and vomiting. This is usually accompanied by chills, fever and aches. The infection can last for 5 to 7 days. Yikes. Anyone who has experienced food poisoning knows it can be nasty!

Salmonella can be avoided by using good hygiene... hand washing as well as proper food handling. Not usually a problem in the home. I hope the recalls will be over soon and that you all enjoy some healthy and safe noshing!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Food is supposed to be a source of nourishment and comfort, not fear. I was at the store last night with my boyfriend, and he debated whether to buy eggs. Oblivious as I can be sometimes, 'cause this hasn't put the fear of God into me as it has some people, I said "Why?" "The salmonella." "Oh, I haven't heard about that here (in Michigan). I don't think the eggs got this far. Buy some local ones from an organic, cage-free farm. You can't be afraid of your food." And that's how I feel -- as you say, take the necessary precautions with good hygiene. From spinach to ground beef to eggs ... it's terrible. But I can't just live on the tomatoes I'm growing in the backyard! So I go forth knowing the steps to clean food and reduce cross-contamination, and I simply have to invest a fair amount of trust ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is pretty crappy to hear. Thank goodness my state wasn't one cause I had no idea about this

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty scary that one can no longer trust commercially sold foods. I think it has to do with the quantities it now takes to feed our country ... we need a lot and so farming practices have had to change to accommodate the increase in demand. For example, to meet the demand for meat, more animals are being raised in smaller areas ... they are too crowded and end up living in their own feces and urine. When the animal is butchered, it's nearly impossible to keep contaminants out and bacteria travels to the packaging department and right on to us. It's not just animal products, however ... veggies are being contaminated, as well. I've heard that some of the fertilizers being used are harmful. Wish I knew the answer.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!