Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Holdiay Open House - Coconut Custard Pie

 

It is day 2 of the Holiday Open House... and today I will share with your a really simple pie recipe. Since getting my chickens I have had a large number of eggs to deal with... 6 a day, to be exact. So, this custard pie helps to lighten my yolky load.
Coconut Custard Pie


Okay, this is super easy. You will need a pre-made pie crust, or one from scratch. Just blind bake it under double aluminum foil with pie weights.Then let it cool slightly before adding your custard filling.

You will need:
5 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp.coconut extract
1/8 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 c. toasted coconut + extra for the top
ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450. In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar, coconut flavoring & salt. Gradually stir in the milk and mix it till well incorporated. Add in the most of the toasted coconut (saving a handful or so for the pie top). Place your pie shell on the rack before filling to prevent spills. Then carefully add
your custard and sprinkle a little nutmeg on top.

After pie is in the oven, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake with the crust covered for 25 minutes. You can fold your aluminum foil in half and cut a half circle out. This prevents the crust from burning before the pie bakes. You can also use a crust cover if you have one. Look near the pie plate and pie supplies in most stores. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until a knife in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a rack and refrigerate within two hours.

I serve mine with a bit of whipped cream and I sprinkle the top with the remaining toasted coconut. Enjoy!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. you lost me at blind bake it- i am horrible that i know nothing about baking. i need to learn, my daughter would so enjoy this mommy/daughter experience. thanks for sharing, overall it does look easy! bree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy- I would have never thought of that! I love hearing other people recipes :)
    Stealin'Groceries

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!