Sunday, March 27, 2011

How Does Our Garden Grow?

It is Oregon... with overcast skies and giant mud puddles requiring kayaks to navigate, I am finally ready to start on my garden. Well, with a little help from the mud-pie-makin'-posse.


Armed with some extra trays, a great little Jiffy kit, and a whole host of vegetable wishes and seedling dreams, we got a little dirty. ...and Little Girl tried to decide if dirt tasted as good as it looked.


My son is working on daisies and cherry tomatoes. I planted a whole variety of indoor sown plants like; eggplant, leeks, kale, basil, pak choi & brussel sprouts. I still have a whole sack of seeds for direct sowing, but they will have to wait for warmer ground temps.


My suggestion is to clearly mark all your seed trays! Nothing like forgetting what is what when it comes to planting time. Though we use Popsicle stick markers, but other markings on your trays in case you have small "helpful" children like mine.


This year I am going to try a roll of mulch. Better than the plastic my Mom layed down to discourage weeds, help the ground retain moisture and heat, my roll is silver and will also deter some types of pests. Woo-hoo! It is my first time trying it, but at only $17 a roll to cover my whole garden, it sounds worthwhile.


Last year I spent more time fighting with the weeds than tending to my plants. This year I hope that changes. I have high hopes that not only will we be swimming in tomatoes and basil this year (those are easy for me to grow), but we will also have plenty of eggplant and salad greens to get us through the warm months.

After our seeds were safely in dirt, it was time to water them. Little girl was in awe of the watering system in the greenhouse. Daddy could even control exactly where it rained!

So what do you have planned for your garden this year? Trying anything new?
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. This will be my first garden season in Indiana but I'm going to try a variety of things including tomatoes. I've grabbed a strawberry plant, some radishes and a few others I can't recall and flowers for the girls. Not sure what will grow out here but we'll have fun doing it. How much room do you have? Sounds like a ton and a dream garden area.

    http://homemom3.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it looks like SO much fun! I can't wait to start our seedlings! Just a few more weeks of waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love the pictures. We are planning to move later in the summer and are not planting anything this year. Instead, like last year, I am helping friends with their gardens and will spend some time on a farm a couple of miles from here helping out.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!