Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Decorating my Easter Cupcakes

Hope everyone had a fabulous Easter! I set out to have a little cupcake fun this past Sunday and wanted to share my creation.


I found the most adorable silicone baking cups that looked like terracotta pots. These are the Brand Castle Blooming Cupcake kit.  They came with a few candy sprinkles (which I saved for a later project), are easy to wash and even have a fill line printed inside the cups. You can find this on Amazon.


I filled my pots with Martha Stewart's Devil's Food Cupcakes. I wanted a chocolate cupcake to represent dirt and what is better than a super rich and moist devil's food?


To decorate them, I used a simple buttercream recipe tinted green and Wilton's #233 (grass) tip. Hold it close to the cake and squeeze. Stop squeezing and pull up at about 1/4" so the "grass" doesn't fall. Start in the center and work your way out. As I piped my hands heated up the buttercream making it unable to stand up, so I took breaks and put it in the fridge to firm back up.

Try different angles to make you grass more realistic. This tip and technique are very forgiving. Either gently scrape off mistakes or add a little more to the top.


Then I used my Wilton Chocolate Pro Electric Melting Pot and a bunny mold to make chocolate bunnies for the top. Yes, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave, but the melting pot doesn't burn or separate the chocolate. It is even easier to use than my double boiler. The low, consistent heat has make chocolate work much more enjoyable for me.

Then I added some jelly beans, and a few leftover royal icing flowers from my cake decorating class. Viola!

For more cupcake fun, be sure to check out Hoosier Homemade's weekly link-up
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes are FREAKING cute!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brillant! I love those little clay pots! And the little bunnies turned out darling. Don't you just love Wilton?
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!