Monday, July 4, 2011

Mamavation Monday - Summer Time


Because it was a holiday, I barely noticed it was Monday already...

Summertime is filled with long days, picking veggies and fruit, preserving as much as we can, and playing outside.

I hear a lot of complaints about how expensive it is to eat healthy, fresh foods. For me, this is the time of year that makes or breaks  us for the remainder of the year. It is all about planning.

Our family owns a produce farm, so I try to freeze, process and can as much as possible. Our favorites are peaches, tomatoes, corn and berries to pack away to be enjoyed in those colder months.

Look beyond the grocery store to your Farmer's Market or local farm stands and local farmers. You might be surprised at the savings and bounty you will find there.

My goal this week is to cook outside our usual food box... There will be more of the seasonal goodies now available. I have kale, broccoli, Summer leeks and zucchini as the stars this week. I have a new recipe for kale ravioli I am dying to try out. Stay tuned for that post. What are your seasonal favorites?

As for exercise? I am still struggling to get back into a routine. I am tempted to go back to my Mamavation workout schedule, but am not sure it provides the balance I need in my life as a whole. I have several new DVDs to try out, but am looking for something to really grab my interest. Any suggestions?

And for my scale pic update...

Well, after a weekend of parties, fun and little sweating... it is creeping back up. I am not in panic mode because I know what is needed to get back down to my goal of 150 lbs this year.



A big congratulations to all the Mamavation Mom Finalists. I am so proud of everyone who applied! Yeah, it takes a lot of guts and humility to put it all out there. I hope to see every applicant rock the Move it & Lose it Challenge. And I hope to see many of you following the Grunt Style Challenge. I am so excited for that one to begin.

I know this post is short, but the weekend came and went and I am ready to dive straight into the new week!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I just found out we have a farmers market down here in my corner of South Dakota, although I can't visit it or can anything, I am excited to know that. Can't wait to see how you ravioli turns out. Usually I am making things with fresh strawberries and peaches, but I'm lucky if my husband will bring home fresh food for me, lol.

    Good luck at finding a good balance between being mom and being mamavation mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with finding a routine that works for you - I'm in the same boat and am trying to find that perfect balance. It's not easy, and you're not alone!!!

    Can't wait to see your post on the kale ravioli! :)

    I've made it a point to go to our local farmer's market each week this year and I'm absolutely loving life. Finding that we're eating more and more fresh fruits and veggies, and needing to buy much less at the grocery store. Yippee!

    Hope you have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I wish I lives next to you. I have been trying to talk MIL into buying a composter. But you really cannot compost in summer, right? I want to go to the market - just cannot figure when and how

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new design. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of your local bounty! (not as jealous of the hard work required to work a farm lol)I also admire the discipline it takes to not turn ALL of your Kale into Kale chips LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. You get to live on a produce farm?! I would never be able to make a profit it I lived on one. I'd eat it all!

    There's nothing like a little taste of summer in the cold winter months.

    Have a great week, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always surprises me that people find fresh eating so expensive when eating out constantly tends to cost significantly more. LOVE my local farmers markets and honestly, locally grown tastes so much better!! Good luck getting back into a workout routine - hopefully the Gruntstyle challenge will be a good kicking off point for you!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!