Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Zucchini Fritters #Recipe Kids & Moms will Love

Do your kids turn their noses up at veggies?

Even the pickiest pint-sized eater loves their chicken nuggets, right? Well, repackage their veggies for almost instant appeal.

I am still drowning in zucchini and mixed with a bit of shredded carrot and onion and these little babies are ready for dipping. Whether you pair them with sour cream or Greek yogurt, it is a great way to sneak in a few more veggies.

These are so easy to make and tasty, too.

You Will Need:
1 Zucchini
1 Carrot
Onion - I only used a quarter, but add it as you like
1 egg
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
Oil for frying
Dipping sauce of choice. I suggest either sour cream or Greek yogurt

Take your grater or food processor and get grating!


I went the old school way with a simple box grater, next time I will probably break out the food processor to save time.


As you grate, put the zucchini in a colander. Salt it slightly and let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes. The salt will help bring out some of the excess moisture. This step is well worth it.


See all this? This is the different between a soggy fritter and a yummy crispy one.

Now do the same to the onion and carrot. I just love the color.


Now mix up the egg, flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Mix it well, then add the veggies to it. Give it a good toss and add salt and pepper. Heat up your oil. You will need a 1/2 inch to an inch of oil in the bottom of your pan. Get it hot enough that the batter bubbles when added.


I like small fritters. Just two tablespoons or so of the mixture. It is thick, so flatten them out a little. Cook till they turn a golden brown.

Let them cool on a paper towel to absorb some of the excess oil. I like mine warm, but my kids enjoyed them cold also. Hope your kiddos enjoy them as much as mine did.


Enjoy.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if there's a way to bake these? Maybe roll them in panko? I might try it. :) Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! These look so good!!! I'll have to try them for my kids, thanks :)

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!