Saturday, November 5, 2011

Preparing for our LEGO party... (Day 2)

With the LEGO party looming, I had to buckle down and start outlining and filling cookies, baking cakes and making my marshmallow fondant.

The cookies came along nicely. Each step takes about 8 hours to dry hard before starting the next section.

First I made a thick (think toothpaste consistency) black royal icing and made the outlines. I used an icing bag fitted with a #3 Wilton tip.


Some had overalls and some just shirts and pants. I wanted to keep the pallet to 4 colors since the party will just primary colors. I used small squeeze bottles with colored fill. Then I used a toothpick and very small offset spatula to spread the colored icing around.


I started with blue and then moved onto yellow. Those are cookie pop LEGO men heads in the background.


I also made time to bake the 3 cakes. This one used a new Wilton sheet cake pan. It worked really well. With a bit of cake release there were no problems or sticking.


After my kiddos were in bed I finished up all the details on the cookies. I had a lot of fun thinking of expressions. The cookies with sunglasses and the ones with goatees were a nod to by husband.


The cookies pops were fun and easy. It was a hand drawn template put onto a plastic lid. Then I hand cut the cookies and added the sticks before baking. For more information, check out Sweet Sugar Belle's blog post on these fun little guys.

Tomorrow is the party! All I have to finish is the cake and I hope it all goes well. Tune in tomorrow for a party recap.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. What a simple, yet professional-looking, idea! You've been pinned to my Pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!