Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Baking Bread - Flax Seed Whole Wheat Bread Machine #Recipe


Part of my living simpler resolution for 2012 involved taking control of our food. Bread is a big one for me. I hate paying $4 - $5 dollars for a "healthy loaf" that still contains colors, additives and things I can't pronounce. So, armed with a love of baking I committed to make our own.

I love using my bread machine because it does all the work for me. I am not a bread snob, but I do enjoy kneading and have even made a few loaves in the Kitchen Aid. Do whatever works for you, because enjoying your own fresh bread is more important than how you made it.

Today I chose a simple bread machine recipe to share, but if you don't have one mix and knead as usual. I will have other non-machine recipes coming soon.

Flax Seed Whole Wheat Bread 



(For a 2lb loaf)
You Will Need:
1 1/2 c. Water, room temp.
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil (or Canola for milder flavor)
1/4 c. Honey
2 1/3c. Bread flour
1 2/3 c. Whole wheat flour
1/3 c. nonfat Dry Milk powder
3 Tbsp. Flax Seed
1 1/4 Tbsp. Vital Wheat Gluten
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
2 1/4 tsp. SAF yeast

Check with you manufacturer's instructions for ingredient order. I use a Zojirushi and it calls for wet ingredients first, then dry and yeast last. If you pick a machine up second hand, be sure to check the product website for more information and a downloadable handbook.


Make sure your yeast stays dry by piling all the ingredients up and then making a small indent for the yeast.

Set the crust on whole wheat and get other things done around the house. Your bread machine will take care of the hard parts.

Be sure to peak at your dough while it is mixing. This is your chance to add more water if the dough is too dry, or a little more flour if it is sticking to the sides. I also make sure all the flour and yeast is pushed down the sides.


Let your loaf cool before slicing. Enjoy!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!