Saturday, February 18, 2012

“Cancel the Mold Show in Your Bathroom” Sweepstakes #TilexClean

Is your bathroom clean?

Not just the sink... but, all around the edges, crevices and grout?

I wish mine was cleaner. I tend to not think about our bathroom while I am making my cleaning rounds. I hop in the shower in the mornings before my eyes are fully open and I rarely take a good look round the tub. Well, except when I give my kids a bath.

Usually I scrub down the tub, or at least where the tub and shower walls meet before I let my little ones play in our tub. Poor ventilation and a busy lifestyle often leaves our bathtub a damp, warm, mold-perfect environment.

Check out this Youtube video. Is this currently playing in your bathroom?



Well, if you are looking to "Cancel the Mold Show" in your own bathroom, here are my trial and error tips:
  •  Circulate the Air - Crack open a window and turn on the exhaust fan while showering to lower the humidity. Our bathroom doesn't have a window and moisture can build up fast so we always turn on the exhaust fan and often use a small box fan in the doorway to circulate the air and help the room dry out.
  • Clean Regularly - I hate the smell of strong bathroom cleaners, so I try to clean a little everyday so it doesn't build-up. A once a week cleaning with a bleach based spray seems to be enough if I also scrub down the tub and walls with a little baking soda and a stiff brush between cleanings.
  • Repaint - Yes, some paints are more mold resistant than others. If you find you have a problem in your bathroom, especially over your tub or shower area, think about repainting with a resistant type. The extra money will save you time in the long run.
  • Clear the Damp Clutter - Don't leave places for mold to form or spores to spread. Make sure wet towels have a place to be hung up, don't leave wet items or rugs on the floor, and trying to expose your items to the sun occasionally. This could be as easy as opening up a window (if you have one), or line drying towels, rugs, etc.
Mold and mildew are a constant battle for me, but I am proud to say that so far, I am winning!

Don't miss out on the current, "Cancel the Mold Show in your Bathroom" Sweepstakes.
Tilex is giving away some great prizes like a 40” flat screen TV or year subscription to streaming movies!  The more friends you tell the more entries you get.  Enter on the Tilex facebook page.  Tell your friends and enter today! ...and while you are there check out more Mold Show episodes..
Remember that mold and mildew are not only unsightly, but can be unhealthy for your family especially if anyone in your home suffers from asthma, allergy or respiratory problems. Spending the extra time to keep my bathroom clean are worth it to me.
*Disclaimer - I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Tilex blogging program, for 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. You've said it all. A bathroom needs a lot of attention to avoid molds from building up, and mold buildups are caused by drying of moist. We can't prevent moisture from occurring in the bathroom. All we can do is maintain it, clean it after every use, and make sure every area of the bathroom is dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! The mold show is hilarious! Anyway, in order to clean the mold, it's important to remove the moisture and prevent it from coming back. This is where mold actually grows, and it's actually dangerous from people's health. When I'm cleaning my bathroom, I make sure that I wear protective gloves and mask to prevent direct exposure. But sometimes I call for the service of a professional to do the job for me. Molds sometimes grow around the pipes and water amenities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best mold prevention technique is regular proper cleaning. You should determine where the source of water is coming from and do something about it. Also, you can always consider professional help and let them do the mold removal for you. Don’t let mold accumulate anywhere in your space because it’ll cause damage to your home and will also put your health at risk.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!