Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Meat Sauce #Recipe - March Crazy Cooking Challenge

What is a great way to dress up simple spaghetti?


Well, how about the perfect homemade meat sauce?

This month's Crazy Cooking Challenge was something I make for my family every week. My kids ask for it and I have my own spin. All veggie, all fresh, every time. But, that isn't the point of this post. This isn't about my recipe. For the challenge we are to find another blogger's recipe to try. I went for something a little different. A nice meat sauce.

Photobucket This recipe is from mel's kitchen cafe. The family recipe is from scratch and contained a little twist that I had never heard of in a spaghetti sauce before  - balsamic vinegar


This recipe makes a lot and is perfect for a large family with plenty left-over to freeze for later. That is my kind of recipe.


Homemade Spaghetti Sauce adapted from mel's kitchen cafe


You Will Need:
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 c. Onion, chopped and divided
1 Red Pepper, coarsely chopped
1.5 lbs. Lean Hamburger
5 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 12 oz. can Tomato Paste
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper

1 tsp. Onion Powder
3 tsp. dried Oregano
3 tsp. dried Basil
1 1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
2 14-oz. can Italian-style diced Tomatoes
2 28-oz. can crushed Tomatoes
1 c. sliced Button Mushrooms
1 1/2 c. Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar





Saute 1 c. chopped onions in olive oil till soft and translucent. Add garlic and heat for one minute. Then add the beef and brown it through.


Put the remaining onion and red pepper in the blender. Coarsely pulse the mixture. Scrape down the sides and give it another go. Add this to the meat.




Add the paste and spices to the pot and let it become fragrant. Just give it a minute or two on medium heat.




Then go ahead and add the remaining ingredients except for the balsamic vinegar. The sauce may seem thin, but it will tighten up as it simmers for an hour.




15 minutes before serving, add the balsamic vinegar and stir well. Serve over a hot plate of spaghetti noodles and enjoy!



Be sure to check out all the other blogs and recipes for "Spaghetti with Red Sauce"

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Didn't someone else feature this same meat sauce recipe? I think so. Must be a good one :).

    I hope you'll stop by and visit my CCC - Spaghetti Pie

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown sugar and balsamic vinegar...sounds delightful!
    #29

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny. I used Mel's recipe too. We thought it was fantastic. We have decided that it will be our go to sauce now especially since it makes enough for 3 or 4 meals.

    http://www.karenandcharlieskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/crazy-cooking-challenge-for-march.html

    Karen and Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I'm not going crazy! I have seen this recipe somewhere else for CCC -- just means it must be a really great recipe and worth trying out :)

    #44
    Spaghetti Bolognese

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my second time seeing this recipe and two great reviews, I'll have to give it a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: Tomato Sauce with Onion & Butter.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow never have added vinegear to my recipe, have to try it. Saying hi from CCC, #80

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds Wonderful! I will be trying this soon, as soon as I finish all the freezer sauce I had left over from my recipe I made! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The vinegar is a nice touch!

    Jen #19

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful. I have never used vinegar in a spaghetti sauce either.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!