Sunday, April 29, 2012

#Mamavation Monday - Breathing the Dirt and Hitting the Pavement


I hope the weather is smiling down on you this week.

Here in Oregon we tend to get out and celebrate the rare days of sun and gorgeous temps. It also means I am currently a "farm widow", with a husband getting up before me, working as fast as he can, scarfing down his meals, and then heading out to do some work with the headlights on the tractor. To keep my kids happy we get outside walking more performing our own version of "Where's Waldo" on the farm. I usually walk/jog a loop that goes down past the alfalfa fields, past the orchards and then we turn around at the corn fields. Last night we walked out to meet my husband then each child took a lap riding on the tractor with daddy and we walked back with the double stroller.

With all the tilling, cultivating and planting going on in our neighborhood you can just smell the good earthy smells of Spring. Along with the smell of freshly cut alfalfa the smell of rich, warm dirt is one of my favorites.

My favorite part of our walks is my son now walks with us. At 4 years he can almost walk/run 2 miles and he has endless energy. I plan on taking both the kids on the upcoming 5Ks and maybe my son will even hit the pavement with me for a bit. I am excited to be participating in both the Social Fabric 5K (May 11th) and the Mamavation Virtual 5K (June 30th). 

This past week I had a hard time fitting it all in. Unfortunately exercise seems to be the easiest thing to cut. No one complains if I don't get my steps in, no one whines if I don't complete my C25K workout, and no one notices if I don't get sweaty. Okay, no... my family notices if I don't get stinky, sweaty .... but, I think you get the idea.

Luckily Monday brings many new starts for me, it is the beginning of a new Mamavation Mom campaign. Best of luck to all the applicants! It also begins the new 2 week challenge with Mr. Bookieboo cheering us on. I am not sure I will get all the pics snapped of my food, but I will be tweeting with the #2weekchallenge hashtag and getting my workouts on with all the other participants. Want to join in? Check out Mamavation for more info.

So with all the commitments I have made, I now need to find the time to fit in those workouts. Workouts and sleep are going to be at the top of my priority list. To help with that my food is going to be low-key. Simple and fast are the name of the game:

Monday - Corn Chowder, fresh whole wheat flax bread
Tuesday - Stir Fry over brown rice
Wednesday - Quinoa bowls with black beans, sauteed zucchini, tomatoes, salsa and Yumm Sauce 
Thursday - Breakfast for dinner
Friday - Yogurt Chicken with couscous, roasted brussel sprouts
Saturday - "Must-go" s
Sunday - Smoked fish, wild rice, sauteed greens

Be sure to check out Mamavation for my Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken Recipe

I will see you all at the Campaign launch party Monday night! Have a great weekend.

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Do you have your yogurt chicken recipe handy? It sounds so good.
    It is easy to push our workouts aside. I wish there were more hours in a day to fit everything in. I would love to have a clean house again, lol.
    I miss my grandparents farm so much when I hear things like this.
    Good luck training for your 5ks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yogurt Chicken is super easy! I sml Greek yogurt, juice of two lemons, 4 minced cloves of garlic, cumin, nutmeg, cinamon, stock, salt & pepper go in a bag to marinade overnight. I promise to get pics and post. I am a few recipes behind on posting, but I am getting caught up. ;)

      Delete
  2. I grew up in Western WA, so I hear ya about the weather! Good luck on the the 2 week challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady, your meal plan made my mouth water! Sounds tasty and I love your run/walk routine. I would LOVE to be able to walk through a farm and enjoy the fresh air and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your meal plans! That is one thing that I need to definitely get better at (heck, just doing it at all, LOL).
    It is hard to fit everything in, but getting out and not SITTING is better then not at all.
    I read a sign once that said "No matter how slow you are, you are still lapping the people sitting on the couch" LOL.
    SO TRUE!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy menu plan! I agree on the sun and celebrating it! It was beautiful last week, and now, not so much. Soon, though, we'll have sun at least every other day, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love tractor rides with my dad when I was little!! <3 It sounds like you've been busy busy!! And as always your meal plan sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That walking route sounds just lovely. I'm drifting away to a peaceful place just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I love your meal plans! Corn chowder sounds auh-mazing!! Feel free to share that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!