Monday, April 9, 2012

Mexican Wedding Cakes - The Secret Recipe Club (#SRC)


Mmmm....

I grew up calling this sweet little confections, snowballs. Rolled in powdered sugar, they were sweet, messy and perfect. Now for the April Secret Recipe Club reveal I made these delightful little "snowballs", also called Mexican Wedding Cakes.

Secret Recipe Club


This recipe is courtesy of Susie from Sweetie Petitti. One of my favorite things about the Secret Recipe Club is finding great new blogs. Her blog is packed with sweet treats galore (cakes, sugar cookies and more!), mains and other fabulous looking recipes. It was truly fun browsing through pages to find a recipe to make. Of course, when I came upon her post, "Flammable Christmas Cookie" I was done.


Funny enough, I chuckled at her post and the burning cookie. Of course, with last try of cookies a few fell off the back of the sheet and WHAM! ... my own little burning cookie fiasco. Luckily most of the cookies were fine. 

Mexican Wedding Cakes
adapted from Sweetie Petitti. (*) denotes a change from original recipe.

You Will Need:
1 1/2 c. pecans, toasted*
2 c. confectioners sugar + 1/2 c. for processing nuts*
4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt 
3 1/2 c. flour, sifted

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Put the toasted nuts and 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a food processor and grind to a fine powder.


3. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract. 

4. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt and nuts. Add the dry mixture to the mixer and mix completely.

5. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes to an hour.



6. With a cookie scoop, form balls and roll by hand. Place on parchment paper. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the tops are dry and the bottoms start to turn golden brown.

7. Move to racks and allow to dry completely then toss in powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container and re-dust with powdered sugar before serving.


Loved this recipe! Just as delicious as I remember. Now check out all the other delicious posts with The Secret Recipe Club:



Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Mmm, what a sweet pick for this month's SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM! This is one of my favorite cookies. I make a similar version for Christmas every year. We call them "snowballs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family was seriously disappointed I didn't make these this holiday season. Thanks for reminding how good they are! I am thinking maybe I will make them in the heat of the summer and it will remind us of cooler things! Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies are one of my dad's favorite cookies - I will have to try them out on him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I make these during the holidays but hey who has to wait for the holidays to come by. Now I want to make these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are my all-time favorite cookies! Did you know you can make a batch and freeze the dough? Very nice for pulling out of freezer and thawing for 30 minutes and baking for company. These also are called Russian Tea Cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know these as snowballs too and they are every so melt in your mouth delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY! My Italian family makes something similar called butter balls, but without the nuts...I've had these kind too and they are just so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Mexican Wedding Cakes, with whatever name they are given. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my family calls these russian tea cakes. they're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We called them russian tea cakes as well, growing up we would make them with black walnuts, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite little cookies.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Fruit, Nut & Poppy Seed Chicken Salad.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love these cookies! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful the way Mexican making a wedding cakes and i love the cake. the wonderful design done by a the cake designer and the way of prefering wedding cakes in New York every one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful choice! I've been a little bit addicted to some gluten free Mexican Wedding Cookies, and seeing how simple they are really encourages me to develop my own recipe, sans gluten

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!