Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Photography Journey - SoFab U Helped Create This

I have had the great opportunity to take SoFab U's first course on food photography and boy have I come a long way, baby!

I began this journey as many fellow bloggers have. I got my DSLR camera and my pictures were automatically better than the previous point and shoot allowed, but I had no idea where to go from there. In the first of my 3 posts for this class I shared some of the photos I was proud of and what I hoped to accomplish through the 6-week class.

I was hoping to break away from my 10 am photography window, but actually learned that artificial lighting cannot beat natural light for making food look appetizing.



Of course, there are some slick ways to make that light even better. On a particularly bright day I put wax paper up in my north facing window to mute the harsh rays.

Though I usually would shoot food from the front, I was able to stretch my angles and work on vertical shots as well as really leaning in for a close-up and tilt towards the cereal bowl.

We also covered photo editing using Pixlr for a wide range of adjustments from photo sizing, tuning the levels and curves, unsharp mask, dodging and burning. My photo of the meatballs needed the most editing. The white balance was off and that was corrected easily with the levels, then I gained added detail with unsharp mask and the front meatball was dodged to lighten it up. I was very happy with the resulting finished photo.
 


One of my favorite parts of the class has been styling our food and the use of props. Anything used in the photo including the dishes and other food is a prop. For this BBQ photo I put the focus and emphasis on the steak. All the color surrounding the meat is there to show it off. For the meat itself I used a little trick of spraying it lightly with Pam to make it shine. Still edible, just looks even more juicy! ... and as the person who ate the steak afterwards, it was delicious.


From the simple background, usually out of poster board, dish cloths or fabric and natural light I watched my meals come alive with the camera. The added bonus with this course was the feedback we received every week from our classmates. Good and bad it all gave me things to think about for the next week's shots.


The last thing I took away from my food photography class was a great understanding of how my camera worked. It was one thing to play around with it on my own, but a completely different experience to learn about the features and options I have to play with. From ISO to Aperture it allowed me great control to bring my vision to the computer screen here.

The Food Photography with Sony has me dreaming about future shots I want to take and food I want to bring my readers. I am inspired to keep taking photos and keep sharing my love of food right here on my blog. I hope my photos will inspire your to get cooking in the kitchen and create some amazing magic of your own.



A big thank you to Social Fabric and to my classmates for all their encouraging words. Now I want to know what you think. This is my portfolio that I submitted as my final project. Which photo is your favorite?

Andrea
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. It's been a pleasure going through this class with you. I've enjoyed watching your photos get better and better. Of course, looking at these photos again makes me hungry. lol! Cupcakes... yep, that's my favorite. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW these look wonderful!! You pictures are so clear and pretty!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are awesome!!! I hope they run the class again, I'd really like to take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous that you go in to the program and I hope SOMEDAY I get to take it because your photos are amazing! What a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos! I was slated to take the class but with a trip scheduled, things got messed up and I ended up missing it. After seeing your fabulous photos, I'm anxious for the next class to open up and hope my schedule permits me to participate!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are wonderful! I definitely need to take the SoFab U class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such and amazing job, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! They look professional! I'm so impressed with all you've learned and excited to try and get into the next class. Great job, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures, Andrea! I still can't get over the cupcakes! So beautiful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! I enjoyed taking the class with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your photo's!! I hope to get in on the next round!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your kind words! It really has been fun and I still have so much to learn and things to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is lovely and it is always a treat to see something new from you! So glad to have had the pleasure of taking this course with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These pictures are amazing! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!