Monday, June 18, 2012

This Week: Perpetual Bone Soup

I am a thrifty DIY type of gal, so when I heard about perpetual soup, an easy bone broth, I wanted to give it a shot.

When working on this week's menu plan I had several new salads I wanted to test out and decided to grab a rotisserie chicken. This slow cooker stock recipe seemed like the perfect way to get my money's worth out of that chicken and clean the vegetable scraps out of the fridge as well. So $4.99 for the chicken which will cover 4 night's meals and several week's worth of stock.



I used a variety of odds and ends in my fridge, with onions, celery, carrots and red cabbage. I will keep this in the crock pot for the next few days and give you an update on how it works. I have almost hit the one day mark and will be able to start using it.



I love the idea of using what I need throughout the week and replacing with more filtered water. At the end of the week I will filter the broth and freeze some and refrigerate the rest.

Here is update on day 3. It doesn't look that great now, but the solids will be pressed and discarded afterwards. Not a bit of this will be wasted.


I would love to hear if you have every tried a perpetual soup or if you have a favorite way to prepare or use your homemade stock.

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!