Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wrapping up our #NickCFK Book Drive - Still Time to Get Involved


Last week I shared my family's love of reading and our September Simple Service Project to collect books for a local Big Help Book Drive in my #NickCFK post. This stack of books represents most of the stories we collected for our local Head Start program.

Since the Head Start program is for children ages 3-5, which is the same ages of my own children, I had them help me select books for the donation. Who better to help with this project than peers. Of course my children love the Nickelodeon characters so they selected several books featuring Dora, Olivia, Team Umizumi, The Bubble Guppies and Blues Clues. My husband and I read to our children every night and I can't imagine a home not filled with books for young, eager minds.


This is a great month to participate with Champions for Kids. They want to get regular people involved to be one of millions to meet their goal of 20 million people participating in Simple Service Projects by 2020. Could you imagine the good that could come of that many people helping others? Helping their communities? I am proud to be one of millions and I hope I am setting a great example for my children to continue on with projects like this.


Since the last post, my order from Walmart.com arrived with even more great Nickelodeon books to add to the donation pile. I have to tell you, the stack grew quickly from the books we purchased at the start (Check out my Google+ album HERE), the books we donated from our own stash and books that were sent or given to me as a donation. So many great stories to be shared with young readers in our community.


What I have always loved about books is that great stories can be shared. Even worn and tattered books come alive at bedtime or story time for young readers. I have fond memories of my own Mother reading me well-worn books passed down in the family. Some of my favorites included Dr. Seuss stories. Told again and again, they only seemed to get better with each reading.



Head Start costs nothing for qualifying families. The goal is to get children ready to learn and succeed in school. I thought this Big Help Book Drive was the perfect fit because they both are trying to help low-income students succeed.

So simple, isn't it?

So simple I hope you will be encouraged to collect books for children in your community. How many can you collect? And where would you donate your books?


In the end we had 63 books for young children. Many were favorites of ours, some new, but I am sure all will be loved and appreciated. Every book can help, so let's all get involved and make sure there are books available for everyone.

Check out the Champions for Kids site for suggestions and inspiration. Be sure to help out their goal by letting them know if you donate books. Also follow them on Twitter and Facebook to see all the good being done.

Also check out their partner, Nickelodeon on Twitter and Facebook because their beloved characters go a long way to inspire children to read their stories.

Now what are you waiting for? Go see how many books you can collect!

*Disclaimer - I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Champions for Kids. #NickCFK #CBias. All opinions are entirely my own.

Andrea
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I learned to read when I was 3 and I love books ever since I was a kid. I collect and donate my books to the local public school in our place. Most of them school/academic books. Thank you so much for your efforts and for supporting a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Books are sooo important for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful project Andrea! Head Start programs around the US do so much to build little minds and I love that you chose them for your donation. And kudos to you for involving your own little ones. This is a lesson that will serve them well later in life.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!