Monday, October 22, 2012

Motivated Monday - My Back, Has My Back

There is nothing more humbling than not being able to move. Let this be a warning to you/love letter to a body part that makes my every movement, every action easier.

Oh, yeah... this is all about my back.

Saturday morning we went on our annual pumpkin patch trip. My husband drove the pumpkin wagon and we set out with our friends and an army of little people in search of those perfect orange orbs. My son was dressed as a dinosaur and my daughter was a fabulous little peacock.

Off the wagon I admired the smiling faces surrounding me. Kids were darting in every direction all looking for their ideal of "perfection". A medium sized, round pumpkin caught my eye. The stem was cut, but there were a few loose tendrils still holding on. I set my right foot ahead of me, grabbed with both hands and pulled with all my might.

*POP*

I felt it down deep in my back. I couldn't move and my hearing started to go, my eyesight got fuzzy. I called for my husband to come quickly before I collapsed.

Only I didn't. I stood rooted to the spot, but unable to move. With two guys on either side of me, they helped me back to the wagon. I slumped there and had to watch the fun out in the field.

Back home I was flat on my back. I couldn't walk, I was in pain and so frustrating.

Over the next two days I slowly regained my strength and the ability to move. At first it was just in one direction, sitting up was painful and walking was hard. Slowly I regained the ability to bend some, then twisting and now I can finally lift small items and walk without support.

What does your back do? So many amazing things.

This week I don't have a weigh-in to share, even though our Graduate campaign begins today. I didn't finish my entire workout - Tae Bo was a little intense for my shaky core muscles. But each day I am getting stronger. Each day I will love the mobility I have, and work hard to build up the strength on my core.

I love my back and I plan to take better care of it so it can "have my back" for years to come!

*Update* Just wanted to add this week's scale pic:



I lost 1.6 lbs this past week!


GOAL: 175lbs  - Current 208.6lbs  = 33.6lbs to lose
        9/2                Current 204.8lbs = 29.9 lbs to lose
        9/9                Current 203.4lbs = 28.5 lbs to lose
        9/16              Current 202.6lbs = 27.6 lbs to lose
      10/15              Current 201.2lbs = 26.4 lbs to lose
      10/23              Current 199.6 lbs = 24.8 lbs to lose


Have you ever had a back injury? What is your favorite core exercise?

Andrea
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much we need our backs and yet... we tend to forget about it don't we... I'm so sorry you are injured but know you will bounce back from this stronger than before. I'm a big believer in planks for core work. Hang in there and modify as needed. I'm so excited to be on this journey with you. BIG LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'm glad your back is feeling better! I hurt my back once as a kid jumping on a trampoline. It was awful. I've never been on another one since then! You are totally going to be stronger than before! Lots of love and support to you this week, kick some booty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry this happened out of the blue with you. Glad you are able to back off and care for it for a bit. I know about back issues - that bad car wreck of mine almost 6 years ago took so long to rehab from due to what it did to my back. I do not take it for granted - one reason I do so much yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully, no back injuries, but just recovered from a foot injury.

    My favorite core exercise is plank - mainly because I don't have to worry about stepping on my daughter as I maneuver around. Of course, that might only be until she learns how to crawl on me while I'm doing it.

    Stopping by from Mamavation. Come by sometime: 100lb Countdown

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!